Desk Assistant Job Description
CNN is looking for a The Desk Assistant who will be an integral part of the newsroom and the assignment desk. In this role, the desk assistant is responsible for newsgathering for all CNN platforms including television and digital. There is a strong emphasis on writing and collaboration.
Clear, concise dissemination of information is a necessity. Candidate should have experience conducting interviews as well as writing. There are opportunities to write stories for CNN.com and some field work may be included in this position.
In this position, you should contribute daily story pitch ideas and be proficient with detailed notes and organization. It is critical that the candidate be able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment where accuracy is paramount.
Your New Role…
• The selected candidate will work with the Bureau management to ensure the newsroom is aware of and covering the day's top news stories.
Your Role Accountabilities…
• Working with Bureau management to ensure the newsroom is aware of and covering the day's top news stories.
• Reaching out through calls and emails for information to support breaking news and on-going news stories.
• Monitoring a variety of sources, including social media, wires, and local news, and evaluating newsworthiness.
• Assist CNN linear shows with building graphics for air
• Conducting research at the direction of producers and Desk management, which may include identifying video or digital stories.
• Supporting Desk management in efforts to ensure staff and reporters are available for live shots and coverage of live events. .
Qualifications & Experience…
• 1+ year experience in news environment and previous newsroom experience.
• Strong general news judgment and editorial skills.
• Ability to multi-task, work quickly to meet tight deadlines, and make fast decisions.
• Experience building graphics for television preferred
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Punctual and reliable.
• Candidate should be computer literate and have a working knowledge of social media.
• BA/BS preferred
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn7zx3-44-200-101-84-42 in your application.