Guildford, United Kingdom
We are Frostbite
Frostbite is EA's state-of-the-art multi-platform game development engine. Our global team empowers game creators to shape the future of gaming by developing creative engine features and outstanding tools. We are honored to have thousands of game developers all over the world using Frostbite to create some of the most amazing games and player experiences in the industry.
The Challenge Ahead
Frostbite in Guildford is a growing team that plays a critical role in the engine that EA has developed to empower game makers in the company. We focus on building a world-class cross-platform physics engine and features that directly drive innovation in EA's franchises such as FIFA, Dragon Age, and Battlefield. This is developed using an internal Open Source model that invites the company's best engineers to contribute.
We are looking for passionate, motivated, and talented Software Engineers to join our high caliber team in Frostbite UK. You would be working as part of a small team, directly engaged with game teams around the globe to deliver outstanding innovation and performance on PlayStation, Xbox, PC, iPhone, iPad, Android, and new platforms as they emerge. The role will enable you to grow your experience and skills as well as the opportunity to travel to other EA locations and work directly with studios around the globe.
• Collaborate in a distributed team on the continued development of our collision, rigid body simulation, cloth, destruction, character physics, and other libraries.
• Develop tools, workflows, and user interfaces to empower game makers.
• Execute all aspects of software engineering including testing, debugging, documentation and optimization.
• Work closely with our customers to understand their needs and deliver on their highest priority features and requirements.
• Build up engineering skills and physics simulation knowledge with experienced team members.
• Participate in ensuring that our designs are simple and effective, backed up with great documentation (with the aim of accelerating ease of use and future maintenance)
• 2+ years of experience with C++
Bonus Qualification (one or more is helpful):
• Good understanding of numerical methods, simulation, and mathematics.
• Great communication skills to be able to work with different team members and cells; to be able to communicate progress and results and participate effectively in technical and project discussions.
• Advanced background in real-time / time-critical systems & multiple hardware platforms – preferably game platform hardware.
• To be willing to learn and have a real desire to make an impact on EA games.
• Knowledge of game physics and animation
• WPF and other GUI design experience
• Graphics or Video experience e.g. Image Processing, codecs, OpenGL, Direct3D, DirectX, etc.
• Evidence of delivering tools and workflows at an enterprise-level e.g. using C# and WPF (or similar) to develop complex applications, and to empower content creators.
• Experience in Agile (Scrum) project management and software development methodology.
Please note that the nature of our business may require that certain aspects of this job description may be subject to modification and change during the individual's period of employment.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.