Software Engineer Physics
Guildford, United Kingdom
C++ Software Engineer Physics (9 months Contract) - Frostbite
We are EA
At EA, we have one simple vision: become the world's greatest games company. We are a community of artists, storytellers, technologists and innovators working in one of the most dynamic industries today. We're building a company that thinks about player experience at every step. We are transforming for a digital future and work as one team. We take risks and we dream big. And together, we are changing the way millions play every day.
The Challenge Ahead
Frostbite in Guildford is a growing team that plays a critical role in the engine that EA has developed to empower game makers in the company. We focus on building a world-class cross-platform physics engine and features that directly drive innovation in EA's franchises such as FIFA, Dragon Age and Battlefield. This is developed using an internal Open Source model that invites the company's best engineers to contribute.
We are looking for passionate, motivated and talented Software Engineers to join our high calibre team in Frostbite UK. You would be working as part of a small team, directly engaged with game teams around the globe to deliver outstanding innovation and performance on PlayStation, Xbox, PC, iPhone, iPad, Android and new platforms as they emerge. The role will enable you to grow your experience and skills as well the opportunity to travel to other EA locations and work directly with studios around the globe.
• Collaborate in a distributed team on the continued development of our collision, rigid body simulation, cloth, destruction, character physics and other libraries.
• Developing tools and workflows using C# and WPF (or similar) to develop complex applications, and to empower content creators.
• Execute on all aspects of software engineering including testing, debugging, documentation and optimisation.
• Work closely with our customers to understand their needs and deliver on their highest priority features and requirements.
• Participate in ensuring that our designs are simple and effective, backed up with great documentation (with the aim of accelerating ease of use and future maintenance)
• Excellent commercial experience with C++.
• WPF and other GUI design experience
• Knowledge of game physics and animation
• Great communication skills to be able to work with different team members and cells; to be able to communicate progress and results and participate effectively in technical and project discussions.
• Advanced background in real-time '/ time-critical systems & multiple hardware platforms – preferably game platform hardware.
• To be willing to learn and have a real desire to make an impact on EA games.
Please note that the nature of our business may require that certain aspects of this job description may be subject to modification and change during the individual's period of employment.
Frostbite UK is based in EA's UK office in the centre of Guildford. It is a dynamic and creative place to work with on-site facilities including a restaurant, gym, fitness classes and numerous clubs. We have access to great benefits, including EA games, pension, health and dental care, discounts and offers, ride-to-work schemes and more. Our campus is easily accessed from the mainline train station, town centre and other local amenities. We maintain and promote a team-focussed and collaborative working environment and put a great value on our employees' work-life balance.
Our creative work ethos rewards new and different ideas. It is an environment that attracts brilliant talent from around the globe. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you'll feel the energy and support of EA's global brand, while thriving on our world-class campuses. At EA, the excitement you feel throughout each workday is made possible by a culture that inspires you to do the best work of your career.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.