Senior Technical Artist - Capture Development
EA Create is a collective of content production teams partnering with EA Studios game teams to bring outstanding visuals, audio, and technology to life. Our teams comprise of artists, engineers, technicians, designers, and development directors. Worldwide, we combine our teams to form a global group of extraordinary individuals fueled by imagination and a unified passion for creating amazing visuals, sound, and experiences. We are a diverse team, unified through collaboration, culture, and craft.
The EA Create Capture team is made up of industry-leading experts responsible for motion and performance capture, 3D body and facial scanning, data processing, and virtual cinematography tools. You will have strong technical experience within the entertainment motion capture industry.
As a Senior Technical Artist, you will work with the motion capture specialists to investigate and resolve technical issues for project-wide problems. You will work with other Technical Artists to investigate and implement new techniques, including the development of custom tools for workflow improvements and automation efficiencies per the vision of the Technical Art Director. You will report to the Senior Development Director that manages the Capture Development team.
Create Capture maintains many custom solutions for the motion capture process that log the data in a database as it flows through the various stages of processing. Our tools and technologies are developed with a combination of languages including C# and Python. Familiarity in maintaining and rectifying record-keeping systems, such as Shotgun and MySQL, isa requirement.
• Help with the technical development of the systems and infrastructure for the business of Create Capture.
• Support other Technical Artists in the development and integration of any associated proprietary toolsets.
• Support the development and integration of new pipelines for automated data processing.
• Create and maintain technical documents which include setup, usage, troubleshooting, and maintenance guides.
• Work with and assist other Technical Artists to create custom scripts and tools to help support the business of Create Capture.
• Work with and assist other Technical Artists to support solutions to project-wide problems, as defined by the Technical Art Director.
• Work with and assist other Technical Artists to investigate and implement technical solutions per the vision of the Technical Art Director.
• A passionate professional that excels at the intersection between art and technology.
• At least 3 years' experience scripting standard digital content creation applications (Autodesk Maya, Autodesk Motion Builder, etc.)
• Experience, using interpreted scripting languages (Python, Mel, HSL) to create pipelines and tools.
• Experience in the entertainment motion capture industry, working hands-on with data acquisition and processing.
• Experience working with industry-standard motion capture applications (Vicon Shogun'/Blade, MA Cortex) and their scripting APIs.
• Experience troubleshooting large-scale systems motion capture systems and configurations.
• Experience with compiled application development (C++, C#).
• Game Engine visual scripting experience (Unreal Blueprints, Frostbite scripting)
• Experience with record-keeping database systems (Shotgun, MySQL, etc.).
• Experience with version control systems (Perforce, Git, etc.)
• You should be able to communicate effectively through a variety of media including Microsoft Office Programs, Slack and diagrams such as those built in Miro
Bonus if you have:
• Experience with large optical motion capture systems (36+ camera installations), for example Vicon and Motion Analysis would be preferred.
• Hands-on experience with motion capture system configurations (volume setup, data flow, camera aiming'/focusing), stage calibrations, data acquisitions, and associated post-processing of collected optical data.
• Familiarity with image-based 3D character scanning systems.
• Can provide daily technical support for both motion capture and 3D scanning if needed.
• Knowledge of other 3D game engines and editors.