Senior Environment Artist
Remote / Virtual
Senior Environment Artist (Create-Apex Legends)
EA Create is a collective of content production teams partnering with EA Studios game teams to bring outstanding visuals, audio, and technology to life. Our teams comprise of artists, engineers, technicians, designers, and development directors. Worldwide, we combine our teams to form a global group of extraordinary individuals fueled by imagination and a unified passion for creating amazing visuals, sound, and experiences. We are a diverse team, unified through collaboration, culture, and craft.
As Senior Environment Artist you will work with both Respawn and the EA Create Art Worlds Teams, to create diverse and engaging levels and assets for our players. You will collaborate closely with Art Direction and Creative Leads, to help develop both the visual and gameplay experiences for Apex Legends.
• Creating and owning environments, from individual assets through to entire levels or sets.
• Working with project Leads, to scope, plan, and deliver finished levels.
• Supporting the Art Director and Environments Lead, to construct briefs, assemble reference material, delegate and direct work of other artists.
• Deconstructing concept art and style guides into initial grey-blocks and asset breakdowns.
• Collaborating with Designers and other domains, to ensure levels and assets support the gameplay.
• Creating final assets, maximizing opportunities for reuse, modular construction, and technical efficiency.
• Terrain creation, using traditional and heightfield based processes, modeled elements, and placement tools.
• Set dressing levels, conveying a sense of depth and storytelling while adhering to gameplay metrics.
• Able to assess performance of a given level/area and prioritize a list of optimizations.
• Has a good understanding of perforce and ability to troubleshoot technical challenges as they arise.
• Providing input into techniques, tools, and workflows.
• Mentoring more junior staff.
• 6 or more years of production experience, creating Environments.
• Asset creation abilities across a broad range of subject matter, e.g. hard surface/architecture / organic assets/vegetation.
• Experience creating complex terrains, using hand-authored and/or procedural workflows and tools.
• Ability to paint photorealistic and stylized PBR surfaces, ideally using Substance Painter.
• High fidelity modeling skills (using Maya or similar), as well as high-to-low poly baking experience.
• Experience breaking down levels/scenes into efficient asset sets and components.
• Experienced in leading and directing artists in delivering Environments content to final quality.
• Providing both high level and detailed estimates / scoping recommendations for entire levels and/or multiple assets.
• Knowledge and experience with content-driven game engines (e.g. Unreal, Frostbite, Unity, GtkRadiant).
• Experience with Proprietary Game engine and assets.
• Experience collaborating directly with designers, engineers, and Tech Artists.
• Photogrammetry and Substance Designer experience is a plus.
• Experience briefing, delegating and directing work to other Artists, internal and external.
• Examples of levels and assets that were created/owned from start to finish, in either a lead role and/or as a contributor.
• Sets, assets, and environments that demonstrate an understanding of, real-world construction, material properties, and organic wear and tear.
• Work examples demonstrating composition and visual storytelling skills.
• Examples of assets and/or levels that demonstrate effective world-building and content creation processes, including modular construction and efficient distribution of detail.
• Clear breakdown of what you did for each work example shown.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.