Build Software Engineer
We are EA
Electronic Arts is more than you've ever realized. We're more than a company, or a headline, or even a clever catchphrase – we're a vibrant community of over artists, storytellers, and technologists working toward a shared vision: to inspire and unite through play.
While headquartered in Redwood City, EA's platform engineering, game development, and publishing operations take place in a network of locations, stretching from Shanghai to Stockholm, Melbourne to Vancouver. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you'll feel the excitement and support of EA's global brand, while immersing yourself in a culture that inspires you to excel, take risks and dream big. Our unique studios create amazingly creative and fun games - puzzles, adrenaline filled warfare, galaxy-spanning adventures, high-speed racing, and sports so realistic you can practically feel the grass under your feet.
Since its founding in 1982, EA has helped shape the way hundreds of millions of registered players consume and enjoy interactive media. No other company can match EA's portfolio of amazing games and services, across multiple platforms, to players around the world. It is an exciting era in games, and an exciting time to join the team at EA!
The Challenge Ahead:
EA's Digital Platform (EADP) organization drives important technology decisions and investments for EA on a global basis, across all divisions and studio teams. Technology and engineering leadership at EA is essential to making the industry's best games and services and the EADP team is leading the way to providing cross-platform infrastructure to keep our consumers connected with our games anytime, anywhere with anyone.
What you will do:
• Be part of a distributed ~8-10 person diverse scrum team
• Provide a unique blend of technical and personal skills to provide technical leadership, mentoring, and career guidance to a group of engineers
• Coach your team and help them see and reach their potential
• Work with external teams
• Identify the technical impact of production/design decisions and surface the trade-offs
• Help promote and champion the culture of performance, maintainability, quality, and automation in your scrum team
• Use your knowledge of software engineering concepts to design tested, reusable, and modular code
• Grow technical direction, design, and implementation for features within your scrum team
• Participate in project scoping, planning, design, and execution
• Work with both technical and feature product owners throughout the design and development process
• Provide iterative value for our players, marketing and game franchise partners
• Help build performant APIs and modules that power important capabilities
• Apply knowledge of the goals to find fresh solutions for the project, team, and group
• Have a passion for your craft. You feel ownership over everything you ship.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or 10+ year relevant work experience
• Understand team management theory
• Understand how to motivate a team of engineers
• Experience leading a team of 6+ engineers
• Experience managing, mentoring, goal setting, mediation and career planning
• Experience building powerful, performant API services
• Experience building reusable, well tested, documented, distributable modules that provide important capabilities to an organization
• Experience and passion advocating for and mentoring others in software development best practices appropriate for the domain
• Experience with graph databases (MarkLogic, Neptune, Neo4j)
• Experience defining taxonomies and ontologies
• Experience with SQL and non-SQL databases such as MySQL, MongoDB, RDS, DynamoDB
• Experience building highly scalable services in AWS
• Expertise with both object-oriented and functional software design principles
• Experienced with Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment best practices
• Experience working in a Scrum team
• Experience using Git and related tools like GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket
• Experience with DevOps / infrastructure systems
• Experience with web platforms such as Amazon Web Services
• Experience with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
• Expertise in delivering technical presentations
• Expertise in delivering system-level technical design and documentation
What's in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, and, of course, making great video games. And since we realize it takes outstanding people to make excellent games, we offer great compensation packages and a culture is powered by creativity and individuality.
Don't Just Play It – Create It!
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.