Environment Artist (Create-Apex Legends)
EA Create is a collective of content production teams partnering with EA Studios game teams to bring outstanding visuals, audio, and technology to life. Our teams comprise of artists, engineers, technicians, designers, and development directors. Worldwide, we combine our teams to form a global group of extraordinary individuals fueled by imagination and a unified passion for creating amazing visuals, sound, and experiences. We are a diverse team, unified through collaboration, culture, and craft.
As Environment Artist you will work with both Respawn and the EA Create Art Worlds Teams, to create diverse and engaging levels and assets for our players. You will collaborate closely with Art Direction and Creative Leads, to help develop both the visual and gameplay experiences for Apex Legends.
• Creating worlds and environments, from individual assets through to entire levels or sets.
• Deconstructing concept art and style guides into initial grey-blocks and asset breakdowns.
• Ability to take constructive feedback from the Art Director, Lead Artist, and Senior Artists and act on it in a timely manner.
• Collaborating with Designers and other domains, to ensure levels and assets support the gameplay.
• Creating final assets, maximizing opportunities for reuse, modular construction, and technical efficiency.
• Terrain creation, using heightfields, modeled elements, and using object scattering/placement tools.
• Set dressing levels, conveying a sense of depth and storytelling.
• May have some experience with perforce and ability to troubleshoot technical challenges as they arise.
• Constructing briefs, assembling reference material, and overseeing work of other artists.
• Mentoring more junior staff.
• 2 or more years of production experience, creating Environments.
• Asset creation abilities across a broad range of subject matter, e.g. hard surface/architecture / organic assets/vegetation.
• Experience creating complex terrains, using hand-authored and/or procedural workflows and tools.
• Ability to paint photorealistic PBR surfaces, ideally using Substance Painter.
• High fidelity modeling skills (using Maya or similar), as well as high-to-low poly baking experience.
• Experience breaking down levels/scenes into efficient asset sets and components.
• Knowledge and experience with content-driven game engines (e.g. Unreal, Frostbite, Unity, GtkRadiant).
• Experience with Proprietary Game engine and assets.
• Experience collaborating directly with designers, engineers, and Tech Artists.
• Photogrammetry and Substance Designer experience is a plus.
• Experience briefing, delegating and directing work to other Artists (working with external / OS vendors is a plus).
• Examples of levels and assets that were created/owned from start to finish.
• Sets, assets, and environments that demonstrate an understanding of, real-world construction, material properties, and organic wear and tear.
• Work examples demonstrating composition and visual storytelling skills.
• Examples of assets and/or levels that demonstrate effective world-building and content creation processes, including modular construction and efficient distribution of detail.
• Clear breakdown of what you did for each work example shown.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gp12ze-3-236-98-69-42 in your application.