Senior Technical Artist
Guildford, EN GB
We're Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we've entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout and Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm. Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, outstanding game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration with regular ''off-the-grid'' time.
Criterion don't put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we're not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or video games, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we've learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don't do it.
What a Content Technical Artist does at Criterion
We're looking for a Content Technical Artist that can support the artists with the challenges of creating amazing game worlds and vehicles. This includes smart asset creation approaches, level management strategies and helping make the game run at performance.
We need your passion for level and asset creation workflows that ensure the art team can create a visually stunning, varied experience that gets the most out of the target platforms.
You'll work with many different parts of the art and tech teams to create larger scale implementation strategies; help artists make smart modular content and help the team understand how to get the best out of the engine by using optimised assets and shaders.
You will report to the Technical Art Director and collaborate with Lead Artists, Technical and Art Directors to guide the technical implementation of the artistic process for the art team; along with helping our team achieve a top quality game experience.
A Content Technical Artist also needs
• Expertise across 3D content creation pipelines including, asset management, engine implementation and optimisation.
• Multiple shipped titles on modern game engines like Unreal Engine 4, Unity.
• Knowledge of scripting languages like Python (C++ and C# a nice to have).
• Experience using and creating workflows for 3D and 2D programs like Maya, 3D Studio Max, Photoshop and Substance Suite.
• An interest in lighting and rendering, and how it affects performance.
• Empathy for helping others and logic to know how.
• Passion for quality (including industry trends and the wisdom to know when to use them).
What's in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer great benefits packages, but more importantly, because we love working with outstanding creators, we maintain a culture that appreciates creative freedom and autonomy.
• Great compensation package, annual bonus scheme and stock plans.
• Benefits including private medical insurance, dental care, pension scheme and life insurance.
• Extras like employee discounts, Rail season ticket loan, free games.
• 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
• Two annual staff parties (Summer and Christmas)
• Casual dress code
We thought you might also want to know:
We're based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office has an onsite café and gym and is a short walk from the train station and town centre.
• More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com/
• More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford