Austin, TX US
Content Author, EA Customer Experience
#WeAreEA and we exist to inspire the world to play. EA values creativity, pioneering, passion, determination, learning, and teamwork. We mean things like acting with curiosity, speaking up with original ideas, and committing to each other as one team.
We're looking for all the best kinds of people to make great experiences for our players. The best people want a job that inspires them, while giving them room to enjoy their lives. And we want to give them that. We celebrate diversity and inclusion by creating a place where you can come to work and be yourself.
You're a Content Author.
You write words about anything and everything. You quote style guides and are always looking for clever business writing to inspire you. You also advocate for the reader, in our case players and game advisors, and work tirelessly to ensure that what you write is easy for them to read and use.
You will be a part of EA's Customer Experience organization and report to the Director of Content and Communications. The Customer Experience organization wants to make EA known for taking care of its players – whenever, wherever, and however they need us.
A typical day in the life of a Content Author:
• Write help articles that make it easy for EA players to find answers online and give EA game advisors the right info to help players when they contact us
• edit with our house style guide and tone of voice to be clear, open, and personal in everything you write. We call it Good COP Style.
• brainstorm how to rewrite an all-too-formal Legal notice, 404 message, multi-step advisor procedure, or auto-response players might read on our website
• talk to the live support group about a new issue and write a message (fast!) letting players or advisors know we're aware of the situation and trying to fix it
• work with game experts to find out how players or advisors can work around an issue and write troubleshooting steps
• work with the product teams to make a content plan for the next game launch
• prioritize (and re-prioritize) your tasks and projects as we get new requests with tighter deadlines
• answer email and Slack DMs. (We're all trying to spend less time on this, but let's be real.)
Your day looks like this because:
• our mission is to make EA known for taking care of its players and to do that, we have to advocate for the most transparent message
• we write and rewrite until we're communicating like humans with a personality, not like corporate robots
• we know we're successful when players tell us that our content is helpful, or better yet, they tell their friends all about their great support experience
So how do Content Authors make great experiences for players and advisors? We expect them to:
• start and maintain working relationships with game experts, launch managers, and live support analysts
• represent players and advisors when working with other departments and suggest ways to improve their experience
• have a basic understanding of the games they support and find time to play whenever they can
• display confidence in presenting to senior management, or any audience, to ensure what they say is heard and understood
• build relationships with partners at all levels and are comfortable acting as an expert
• tailor communications to their audience, providing either in-depth expertise or a high-level summary depending on the situation; you're always aware of the size and leadership-level in your audience
• provide ongoing, relevant content updates during crisis situations without simply adding to the noise
• identify ways to incorporate new ideas, approaches, and knowledge to daily and long-term tasks
• seek opportunities to collaborate both inside and outside of their team, working with key influencers to effect change in projects and throughout the organization
• foster trust and respect within their team and beyond
• use good judgement and writing and editing best practices to make decisions on their own
You'll need to be awesome at wearing these hats:
• Customer Advocate – You'll know who players are, what they sound like, what they care about, and what really annoys them so that your message is as effective as possible.
• Writer – You'll write easy-to-read content with a punch of personality.
• Editor – You have an eye for grammar, making sure every i is dotted and t is crossed.
• Researcher – You search before you ask, digging up the latest info about what the best writers and CX companies are doing today.
• Learner – You like to learn new things and aren't afraid to test a new thing you've learned about.
You'll love your job THE MOST if you:
• want to be a part of changing EA's customer experience for good
• see words and itch to rewrite them to be better
• are a confident communicator - a storyteller - who likes to present and can share information in a way that your audience can easily understand it
• are positive, empathetic, and respectful; we could call your co-workers and they'd tell us how great it is working with you
• are courageous and creative. Words look great on paper...but also in video, on images, through infographics. We have access to video, image, and data resources. Let's use them.
• can thrive in fast-paced environments with frequent updates (or curveballs, because what company doesn't throw a few of those?).
You might feel pretty bummed about this job if you:
• work best in a structured workplace where you get each task in a ticket or formal request
• want to focus on project management, all day everyday
• like working on your own rather than talking to other people about a challenge and how to fix it
• think your first draft is your final draft; sometimes we have lots of reviews and approvals to go through until we get to a final message.
If you're interested, you'll need these skills or experiences:
• 3 to 5 years' experience in writing with proofreading and copy editing experience
• A bachelor's degree in a relevant field
• Experience using an industry-standard style guide like the Chicago Manual of Style
• Experience working with technical content
• Gaming industry and customer support experience a plus