We're Criterion, and we love making games!
For more than fifteen years we've entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. Our talented people have expressed their passion for world-class game feel, AAA audiovisual quality and technical innovation in the Burnout & Need for Speed series and and more recently in Battlefield 1, Star Wars X-Wing VR, Starfighter Assault and Arcade for Star Wars Battlefront II and Firestorm for Battlefield V.
We believe that healthy, engaged teams make great games, so we place enormous value on collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. We'd love to hear yours! Crunch doesn't help make a better game. We don't do it. For the past three years we are very proud to have been recognised by gamesindustry.biz as one of the best places to work in the UK. Let's talk about how you could be a part of it.
What a Narrative Design Lead does at Criterion:
At Criterion we are passionate about creating player experiences that resonate emotionally with our players. We have a strong track record of doing this in our gameplay systems but are looking to evolve our strength in building player connection to characters through interactive storytelling.
The Narrative Design Lead role is a new position within our studio and will be responsible for defining how the player experiences our stories. We are looking for a candidate who is willing to explore avenues that put more of the story into the players hands while still delivering on narrative beats that contextualise and motivate the actions of our player and the character they are playing.
This role will report into the Design Director working to define the Experience Design vision for the product in close collaborations with game designers/producers, art directors, narrative designers, our cinematics team and other key stakeholders.
A Narrative Design Lead also needs:
• Set the Narrative Design vision and strategy for the product
• Build and lead a small team of narrative designers and writers
• Maintain, safeguard and evangelise the narrative.
• Partners closely with designers and producers to integrate our story into the game.
• Mentor and develop others on the narrative and wider design team in narrative design principles and methodologies
• Demonstrated proficiency and experiences in the field of interactive storytelling.
• Willingness to explore, or experience in exploring, narrative designs that puts more of the story in the player's hands.
What's in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages, but more importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
• Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
• Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
• Private medical insurance & dental care
• Pension scheme
• Life insurance
• Stock plans
• Free onsite gym
• Employee discounts
• Rail season ticket loan
• Annual game points and digital download allowance
• Onsite café
• 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
• Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
• Casual dress code
• Games Area
We're based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.
• More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com/
• More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford