Vancouver, BC CA
RFT - Character Artist – APEX Legends
EA Create is a collective of content production teams partnering with EA Studios game teams to deliver outstanding visuals, audio and technology. Our teams comprise of artists, engineers, technicians, designers and development directors. Worldwide, we combine our teams to form a global group of extraordinary individuals fueled by imagination and a unified passion for creating amazing visuals, sound and experiences. We are a diverse team, unified through collaboration, culture and craft.
Building everything from head to toe, the EA Create Characters team has built, sculpted, and scanned 1000's of characters and the wardrobes - both photorealistic and stylized.
The Character artists play a critical role in top-tier video game creation. In the context of our games, they are responsible for creating the cast of characters that populate the game universe.
Our character artists are dynamic and efficient modelers with exceptional sculpting and texturing skills – able to create outstanding content.
We create amazing character models based on concepts, scan data or photo references.
The Character Artist will work with both internal and Respawn teams to achieve visual excellence for the content and experiences that we create for Apex Legends.
Who You Are:
• Experienced with 5+ years of industry character creation production
• Expert in high-fidelity 3D modeling/sculpting techniques, along with high-poly to low-poly surface/detail baking
• Experienced in creating game resolution topology with considerations for deformation and rigging
• Expert-level modeling experience with Maya and ZBrush
• Expert-level texturing experience with Photoshop with an overall emphasis on realism (Substance Painter/ Designer is a plus)
• Knowledgeable of PBR workflows and how to replicate real-world materials
• Experienced in working with content-driven game engines (e.g. Unreal, Frostbite, Unity)
• Able to visualize in three-dimensions and work from limited reference material/concept art
• Gifted with a strong sense of proportion and composition with a superior eye for surface, colour, and detail
• Knowledgeable in creation of clothing and how they should match the character style (Cloth/hair simulation experience is a plus)
• Experienced in delivering high-quality assets to time and technical budget constraints
• Able to ramp up quickly with proprietary tools and software
• Interest and experience in supporting Leads with improving pipelines and artist workflows
• Photo-real character modeling and texturing – hair, clothing, anatomy, likeness showing UV layout and all maps
• Concept-modeling is a plus
What's in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, RRSP company match and, of course, many other perks! And since we realize it takes outstanding people to make outstanding games, we offer great compensation packages and a culture that succeeds on creativity and individuality.