Lead Character Artist
Warner Bros. Discovery
WB Games Montréal, a division of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE), seeks a Lead Technical Designer to define and lead the execution of tool creation to support the Level Design Team, and to assist the Technical Design Director and Design Leads in defining the technical needs necessary to deliver the creative vision.
In this role, you will lead and mentor a team of technical level designers and act a liaison between programming teams and the content creation teams. You will evaluate new technologies, supervise, and monitor the development of pipelines and workflow and work with all disciplines to ensure that the content creation teams have the tools required to maintain optimum delivery of outstanding levels within technical limitations, solving technical problems when required.
• Define, prioritize, assign, and regularly follow up on tasks and the advancement of your team's work with regards to deliverables.
• Work with Production on planning and scope to meet deadlines in a timely fashion.
• Lead the design of content workflows to empower content creators
• Help conceive, generate, and improve pipeline and processes for level designers to follow, including but not limited to, documenting this pipeline on the internal wiki, updating documentation, and building prototypes and best practices for LDs.
• Collaborate with technical Directors, programmers, and content creators to deliver, maintain and refine tools, new engine features, streaming strategy etc. for level design.
• Work closely with content creators to ensure tools are intuitive and perform as intended.
• Establish a clear pipeline to receive user feedback and effectively implement change when needed.
• Ensure cohesion between level design, art, and technical needs.
• Perform regular technical reviews with level designers.
• Empower your team members with clear expectations and hold them accountable for their key results.
• Provide your team members with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development -- ensuring positive acknowledgement of all achievements, both big and small.
5+ years’ experience in a technical designer position.
Have worked on at least two AAA titles, with at least one of them using Unreal Engine.
Relevant degree or equivalent job experience preferred.
Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Strong technical proficiency in understanding proprietary tools and technology.
Good understanding of 3D engines and deep experience with visual scripting.
Familiarity with 3D Studio Max or Maya.
Strong knowledge of scripting tools such as Blueprint/KISMET/DOMINO.
Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the leadership team.
Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
Bonus Points if you have (desired but not required)
Coding (C++)/Programming experience is a definite plus.
Experience with Unreal 5 is a plus.
Experience with procedural generation tools such as Houdini is a plus.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r06p28-3-238-250-73-42 in your application.