CNN International Commercial division (CNNIC) is responsible for all revenues from CNN's services globally, outside of North America. CNNIC requires a Commercial Director to manage the Commercial Distribution and Content Sales & Partnerships business areas for APAC region.
Commercial Distribution involves licensing the CNN channel to non-residential customers, primarily hotels, but also managed apartments, offices, hospitals, and other institutions.
Content Partnerships involves licensing of CNN International's content and services to publishers of news content, including other news organisations or media services, and partnering with organisations to launch CNN-branded services, such as local news channels or journalism programmes.
The Commercial Director will define and execute the sales and commercial strategy for both the Commercial Distribution and Content Partnership business units in the region, under the direction of the respective Vice-Presidents. They will drive revenue growth though the identification of opportunities, negotiation and successful execution of agreements, and the ongoing management of the licensing partnerships.
The Commercial Director has dual line reporting into the VP Distribution and into VP Content Sales and Licensing for the respective business areas. The role is supported by and manages a Sales Manager for Commercial Distribution and a Sales Assistant working across both business areas. The Commercial Director will be part of global CNNIC teams, led by the Vice Presidents.
• Manage commercial strategy and business development for the licensing of CNN channel and services to hotels in the Asia Pacific region and responsible for achieving and surpassing budgeted revenue targets.
• Develop distribution strategies for each market to optimise revenue growth and defining and executing the appropriate distribution model for each market. Different licensing models include:
• Granting commercial rights as part of the Warner Bros Discovery's (WBD) distribution agreements with pay tv platform partners who supply both residential and commercial premises. These partnerships are managed by regional WBD Distribution teams, but terms for commercial rights grants are agreed with the Commercial Director.
• Direct licensing arrangements with hotels and hotel groups
• Local distribution agents and/or technology companies serving the hotel industry.
• Work with other departments to execute the role effectively, including:
• WDB Distribution teams; for pay television partners granted residential and commercial rights
• Marketing: pitching CNN to potential clients, attending conferences, supporting existing distribution partners
• Channel Operations; for technical delivery solutions so channel can be received by clients
• Finance; revenue and billing management and budgeting, cost management
• Legal teams; negotiating contractual agreements.
• Develop relationships with key clients to foster long term business partnerships and continuously monitor industry trends and developments to inform changes to product and commercial strategy, identify new business opportunities and safeguard existing business partnerships.
• Maintain and develop business management tools to ensure business decisions are supported by data and analysis and communicate regularly and effectively with leadership and other team members and colleagues within CNNIC and WBD.
• Manage two direct reports, ensuring they have clear objectives, priorities and advice to be effective in performing their roles. Support and direct them in their work and help them to develop their careers within the organisation.
• Be an effective team member in the wider Commercial Distribution team, collaborating with EMEA colleagues to develop products, evolve commercial and pricing strategies, manage global clients and share best practice.
• Manage Key Content Partnerships, including Branded Channels in APAC. CNN has numerous key content and branded channel partnerships across the region. These important partnerships require strategic attention and meticulous relationship management and represent a growth opportunity. In this function, the Director will be responsible for certain revenue and growth objectives.
• Commercial Development: As the success of CNN's multi-platform approach continues, partnerships are expanding in other areas including Digital, Learning & Education, and others. The Director APAC will be responsible for developing and fostering major partnerships in these and other new areas of growth for CNN.
• Leadership of content sales initiatives across APAC via the Content Sales team, the WarnerMedia sales force, agents and self-initiative on large deals.
• Management of content sales in the region including consultants, new business pipeline and current revenue management.
• Leadership in the Content and Partnerships Management team along with Head of Product team, other regional sales heads, and Editorial.
• Collaboration with CNNIC ad sales and digital teams in the development of sales in brand publishing/ native content space.
Areas of Accountability
• Commercial Distribution revenues for the Region.
• Content Partnership revenues for the Region.
• Management of two team members.
• Management of departmental costs & personal and team members T&E expenses.
• Partnership management for CNN's key clients.
• Representing CNN both internally (WBND) and externally in APAC market
• Strong experience and knowledge of content and channel distribution business, ideally with some experience of licensing to hotels and commercial clients.
• Track record of commercial sales role in countries of Southeast Asia Pacific region and preferably also Japan, Australia, Taiwan & Korea.
• Track record of achieving and surpassing sales targets.
• Understanding of media landscape and transformations impacting the sector.
• Knowledge of the hospitality sector and their requirements from channel licensing perspective useful but not essential.
• Sufficient management experience to manage small local team and to work within a complex, global corporation.
• Experience in developing and closing commercial deals around content sales and branded channels.
• Proven exposure working in a multi-platform sales organisation with a record of exceeding revenue goals.
• Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Experience of working with legal to define, lead and drive complex deals / contracts.
• Capacity to be an excellent ambassador of the brand and the team internally and externally.
• Knowledge of digital publishing, native content / brand publishing, and content syndication sales.
• Great relationships / contacts and networks in the region.
• Motivated and driven sales executive, with ability to develop, communicate and execute commercial strategies.
• Experience of identifying, developing and delivering new business partnerships to drive revenue growth.
• Product development and innovation – ability to think creatively about how to develop the business potential in a time of significant transformation.
• Gravitas to engage with senior leaders in client organisations, negotiate deals and skills to manage and motivate partners to deliver long term value to CNN. Ability to represent CNN effectively within region.
• Team player, with skills to manage and develop their team, communicate effectively with their manager and collaborate internally to build trust and strong working relationships with colleagues in CNN & WBD.
• Organised and skilled in managing business information, providing analysis of business area and markets, managing deals, and presenting business strategy and performance.
• Preference for this role to be based in Singapore.
• Regular travel within region and occasional travel to EMEA and/or US.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r14m0e-18-206-48-243-42 in your application.