Associate Game Director
Quebec City, QC
Game Designer (Progression) - Assassin's Creed brand
With a team of more than 500 creative, passionate and innovative talents, Ubisoft Quebec continues to grow and expand. Founded in 2005, the Quebec City studio has carved out a place for itself among the leaders in the video game industry. Involved in several of Ubisoft's flagship franchises, it has acquired solid expertise, positioning it in the development of major AAA games. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec City team has assumed leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Immortals Fenyx Rising as well as the new crossover stories of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla.
As a Game Designer in progression at Ubi Québec, you'll be the creative energy behind a specific set of game systems and mechanics.You provide players with tools to build unique gameplay experiences and opportunities to make meaningful choices.
You go through an iterative, hands-on process of adjusting and balancing your design as you bring it from concept to playability. Throughout production, you shift your focus from the big picture to the micro details; tackling hurdles in development and stepping back to asses how all the pieces connect and affect each other. You tweak and tune until it finally happens: a smooth and engaging player experience emerges.
What you'll do
• Design player progression systems (equipment, behaviour tree, combat formula, etc.) and any other progression system related to naval, companions, camp, etc.;
• Design the game economy (type of ressources, use, location, etc.);
• Balance and adapt your work based on technical and production constraints, play test results, and comments from cross-functional teams;
• Write and maintain design documentation that will serve as a reference to guide interdependent teams;
• Balance the game (player, enemy, equipment statistics, etc.);
• Manage the game income and the cost (unlock, upgrade, etc.);
• Work closely with the monetization team to determine the content of the store and participate in the development of pricing strategies.
What you bring
• An degree in Game Design, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, or equivalent;
• Experience in design, economics, or related experience (live/online game development a huge plus);
• In-depth knowledge of Excel + basic familiarity with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) *;
• An innovative, creative, and collaborative spirit;
• Critical thinking, curiosity, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility;
• Ability to translate analytical findings into actionable recommendations;
• Excellent problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
• An understanding of player motivation & a passion video games;
• Deep knowledge of Action RPG/Open World AAA games as Immortals Fenyx Rising or Assassin's Creed or any other relevant and recent game.
*Knowledge of data visualization software (e.g. Tableau) and scripting languages, an asset!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw31on-100-26-196-222-42 in your application.
Ubisoft’s worldwide network of video game development studios and business offices work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams