With offices all over the globe, The Mill is one of the world's leading visual effects studios, creating award winning high-end VFX for advertising and creative industries. This is a fast paced successful business where a passion for advertising and creative media is key, alongside an ability to analyze and problem solve across a wide spectrum of elements.
The Mill Colour group is looking for an ambitious and talented assistant to join the London team.
The role of a Colour Assist is to not only to be the right hand person to the colourists but to also be working alongside and feeding all Mill departments, particularly the 2D department. Developing close working relationships with the Colourists and Production team is a must and is only made possible with an innate understanding of the Colourists technical and creative methods, and a deep understanding of broad Colour workflows, and The Mill's own bespoke systems. Although an Assistant defaults to the Colourist, the Assistant must also have the confidence and ability to deal with clients and their requests and to work on jobs unsupervised.
Although assistants are not expected to have their own client base; they are expected to build and develop relationships within the industry by working in tandem with upcoming creative talent. Many of these are music videos and short films, which will allow greater experimentation in creativity and approach, allowing the assistant to apply the skills learnt whilst working with the existing Colourists.
The Assistant Colourist must grow a highly developed sense of colour imagery coupled with a strong creative and aesthetic sensibility and an in-depth knowledge of the whole post-production process including experience and understanding of colour spaces & data formats.
• Communicating with the Producer to ensure source footage and the EDL relating to this material is delivered for each job.
• Conforming each EDL and making sure there are no problems.
• Colour correction on additional shots for completed projects.
• Projects fully prepared in readiness for the Colourists session with clients.
• Maintaining the Colour Workflow pipeline.
• Up to date working knowledge of our key tools; Baselight and Baselight Assist.
• Experience with other systems is valuable (i.e. Resolve).
• Strong problem solving skills under time pressure.
• A good eye for images.
• An in-depth knowledge of the whole post-production process especially at editorial stages.
• Good working knowledge of the current popular Data cameras is required.
• Knowledge of colour spaces.
• Diligent and exhibit good attention to detail.
• Photographic interest and experience desirable.
• A very solid understanding of operating systems and codecs is required.
• Flexibility and adaptability in working hours is expected.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rekz62-35-172-223-30-42 in your application.