Contracts Manager, TV Business Affairs
Culver City, CA
VP Business Affairs, TV Studio
Sony Pictures Entertainment is a leading creator and distributor of entertainment products, services and technology. Our global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution, television production, programming and syndication, home video acquisitions and distribution, operation of studio facilities, development of new entertainment technologies and distribution of filmed entertainment in over 70 countries.
SPE is looking for a Vice President of Business Affairs to join the US TV studio. Reporting to the EVP of Business Affairs, the VP will handle all aspects of day-to-day television production from development through production, delivering myriad projects from short and long form scripted (both live action and animated) and unscripted (alternative, game shows & syndication) to 20+ networks/platforms.
• Structure, negotiate, and draft development and production deals for above the line agreements for scripted (live action, animated), unscripted (alternative, game shows, syndication) and daytime programming for distribution on all television and new media licensees/platforms.
• Handle development through production on all pilot/series and long form projects and manage the day-to-day issues related thereto, including negotiating all ATL deals (pilot directors, line producers, test options, casting directors, staffing, executive producers, etc.).
• Negotiate and oversee drafting and redlining of overall deals, first look agreements, rights agreements (books, articles, podcasts, etc.).
• Negotiate script packager, license and co-production agreements, production services agreements, negative pick up agreements, and acquisition agreements.
• Interface on a day-to-day basis with various internal groups (creative, production, finance, marketing/publicity, contract administration, talent, etc.) and production personnel as needed
• Advise on any BA-related matters (including guild/union issues, integrations, consumer products) both with internal clients and outside production companies regarding pilots, specials, and series etc. for the studio
• Analyze, review, and interpret contracts; provide thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues
• Candidates should have a JD and substantial experience (8+ years) working in a television business affairs department, legal affairs department and/or entertainment law firm.
• Extensive experience in negotiating and drafting all manner of contracts for domestic development and production deals for television series
• Strong legal acumen with the ability to demonstrate sound judgment
• Working knowledge of entertainment guild rules & regulations
• Familiarity with production clearance issues and ability to handle copyright and trademark matters
• Exceptional understanding of licensing and coproduction agreements and all other distribution-related and/or acquisition agreements
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
• Collaborative style with proven record of building strong relationships, both internally and externally at all levels.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Sony Pictures' global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies.