Principal Strategy Manager - Original Series
Culver City, CA
Vice President, Distribution & Content Acquisition
This is a key supporting role with a broad scope, touching on many aspects of the television business and is an integral part of a multi-billion sales organization.
The primary goal of the executive is to support efforts to establish, track and drive content value, develop relevant new business models, and improve processes/analytics around greenlights, ultimate and related sales tracking.
The role requires exceptionally strong leadership and interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusting relationships across multiple business sectors including Production, Finance, Legal, and Operations. Because of the complexity of the business and the speed for which it is changing, it is preferable that he/she have a solid understanding of content licensing.
The position requires ability to quickly maneuver through and analyze relevant sales systems/data to compile and create reports and information, towards supporting product information, modeling, and decision-making needs, including executive-level presentation of the same.
The position is based in Los Angeles and could involve limited travel.
1. Content Valuation, Tracking – 40%
• Drive greenlight and ultimate process for all series, produced and acquired; provide regular and relevant updates/information to senior management and finance.
• Provide ad hoc analysis as needed – for example, sales updates to content owners, and analysis/insights to senior management for new business opportunities.
• Develop and update quarterly ultimate assessment, interfacing as required with regional sales/sales planning, finance and product owning groups.
2. Acquisitions and Co-Productions – 20%
• Model financial scenarios for acquisitions/co-productions and new business ventures, and work with Finance to obtain necessary internal approvals.
• Work across product owning groups and sales on release strategy and valuation.
3. Sales Strategy – 15%
• Provide insights leading up to and throughout sales process to ensure that financial and strategic goals are achieved.
• Liaise with regional sales teams to identify and maximize value of unsold windows.
• Support efforts to grow revenue and profit for both current and library series.
4. Product Liaison – 15%
• Key source of produced and acquired series information for sales team around the world.
• Contact point for internal and outside producers/production companies with respect to series.
5. Management – 10%
• Position will be responsible for direct oversight of Sr. Analyst/Manager level position, shared oversight of a Manager level position, as well as leveraging resources across other divisions, including finance, operations, sales planning, and marketing groups to achieve initiatives and results.
• MUST have a good understanding of all aspects of television licensing, preferably with international experience; home entertainment experience a plus;
• MUST have the ability to navigate systems, financial models and complex legal agreements, as well as creative documents
• Track record of building strong relationships in both the business and creative communities
• An overall passion for content
• Ability to think strategically and act tactically; see the big picture, while prioritizing to deliver timely on the daily requirements
• Proactive, solution-oriented and ability to propose creative solutions to problems.
• Anticipate business trends and solve problems creatively.
• Innovative and creative thinking.
• Proficient at establishing relationships with cross-functional peers.
• Executive presence and leadership skills.
• Influential with the ability to effectively communicate and present ideas.
• Flexibility, ability to work under tight timelines; willingness to be in the details
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a positive team player
• Strong analytical and management skills
• Ability to prioritize multiple important projects and work with minimal supervision
• Minimum of 7-10 years' experience in TV Distribution
• Bachelor's degree, MBA a plus
• International experience required
USA - Culver City - Akio Morita Building
Sony Pictures' global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies.