Senior Counsel, Privacy
The Senior Counsel, Privacy will be responsible for overseeing SPE's Employee Data Privacy Compliance Program, and will provide legal advice to SPE corporate executives and their teams regarding compliance with employee data privacy legal requirements globally.
This position requires experience working on a wide variety of employee data privacy and data security matters, as well as the ability to support all aspects of the company's global privacy initiatives. Must partner with global teams across the company to provide practical, business-focused legal advice and to support the accomplishment of business objectives in an ethical and compliant manner.
This position will be based in our Culver City office.
Advises and Oversees SPE's Global Employee Data Privacy Compliance Program
• Provide and coordinate legal advice regarding employee data privacy laws, regulations, requirements and trends applicable to the collection, use, transfer, and sharing of personal data.
• Ensure cross-functional understanding of legal advice and implementation requirements relating to compliance with the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA) with respect to employee and B2B data.
• Review, evaluate, and implement privacy requirements for corporate initiatives and vendor agreements that involve the collection and use of employee data.
• Participate in negotiations with third party vendors regarding data privacy issues in a variety of commercial agreements affecting employees, including but not limited to job candidates, full-time and part-time employees, and production workers, as well as agreements affecting B2B data.
• Liaise with Sony Corporation and its operating companies regarding employee privacy requirements and strategies.
• Monitor employee privacy developments and identify related best practices.
• Provide privacy support in all employee M&A activity, including privacy due diligence and integrations of newly acquired entities.
• Provide legal advice to People & Organization, Legal, Procurement, IT, and Information Security Privacy teams on privacy matters, including in response to Data Subject Requests.
• Consult and coordinate with outside counsel regarding local legal requirements, including regulatory filings with international data protection authorities.
• Advise on data incident response issues, including breach notifications, remediation plans and communications with regulators.
Supports Legal Compliance team
• Work collaboratively with Legal Compliance Privacy colleagues and cross-functional teams to develop privacy strategy proactively.
• Collaborate on global privacy awareness activities and training.
• Support Legal Compliance group initiatives and projects as needed.
• Serve as employee data privacy lead on all matters to drive compliance initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
• J.D. and member of the California State Bar.
• Minimum 5-7 years of relevant law firm and/or in-house legal experience, including providing privacy advice for employee data activities.
• Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) preferred.
• Direct experience applying US and global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines in a business context.
• Experience in the entertainment industry preferred.
• Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
• Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
• High proficiency with Microsoft Office software (including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word).
• Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the company.
• Flexibility to manage multiple matters, and new areas of expertise as business needs change.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to identify prioritize and resolve issues quickly and effectively in a complex and creative environment.
• Be an innovative/creative problem solver who is able to find legal solutions to business issues.
• Be comfortable with a fair amount of ambiguity.
• Be down to earth with high emotional intelligence, sound judgment, common sense, confidence, and the ability to act decisively.
• Maintain a positive attitude, sense of humor, and a commitment to professionalism and collegiality.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rzn6w1-34-239-160-86-42 in your application.