Full Time Job
Managing Director, South
- Full Time
- Executive (10+ years) Experience
Job DescriptionManaging Director, South Korea
Based in Seoul, the Managing Director will be responsible for leading and managing the theatrical releasing business in South Korea and the overall P&L of the division.
This position will assume responsibility for all business activities relating to theatrical film distribution in South Korea. This includes all aspects of sales, marketing, finance, administration, operations and legal issues. In addition to films produced by Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony Pictures Releasing International also distributes films produced by third-party companies and other acquisitions from time to time.
The business involves the strategic planning, scheduling and release of a slate of titles annually to cinema exhibition with oversight of all marketing activities including, creative execution, talent and film publicity, digital campaign, social media marketing, third-party partnership promotions and advertising campaigns across all media options. In addition, the Managing Director will also pursue local product acquisitions and productions as appropriate.
The Managing Director will be required to travel throughout South Korea and other Asian cities in addition to our Home Office in Los Angeles as required.
The Managing Director will have full P&L responsibilities and is ultimately responsible for developing and implementing distribution release strategies, marketing plans and financial results against budgets and revenue estimates. The Managing Director is expected to have the ability to cultivate new and high-growth opportunities which will lead to profitable growth consistent with the Company's overall business strategy is expected.
To achieve this, the Managing Director should continuously evaluate the market and identify new business and growth opportunities, working with regional and home office headquarters and the local team to capitalize optimum market potential. In addition, the Managing Director will be the principal contact person with regional and home office headquarters on all key issues, distribution and marketing strategies, box office and financial reporting and third-party contracts.
The primary goal of the position is to ensure that local authorities approve the release and distribution of Sony Pictures films. Followed by the identification and targeting of profitable audience segments, design and drive the implementation of marketing, publicity and promotion strategies. In conjunction with the local team, this role will prepare, develop and implement annual budgets (including departmental, advertising and publicity budgets) and ensure local box office projections on individual titles are met.
Furthermore, the Managing Director is also required to establish and maintain a strong and lasting relationship with third party partners, government officials, exhibitors and new media companies. It will work with various policy bodies and regulatory agencies including those relating to antitrust, market access, film classification and intellectual property protection, advocacy and take a key role in local industry organizations. As part of a global media group, the Managing Director will work closely and facilitate cross-functional and divisional communication and collaboration within Sony Pictures Entertainment divisions and with other Sony companies in South Korea.
The Managing Director shall represent the theatrical business of the company and act as the official spokesperson and play a central role in anti-piracy efforts within SPE and the industry at large. The Managing Director is also expected to present a highly balanced and professional image of the company at all times.
The Managing Director will be expected to cultivate a progressive and innovative culture with the organization and be a role model to the local team and the rest of the organization, drive, motivate and inspire the long-term growth of the local team through recruitment, training and retention of high performers.
EDUCATION (OR EQUIVALENT) AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• Seasoned professional with typically 15+ years of experience in broadcasting, media, or film industries
• Senior level of knowledge and experience in theatrical releasing management
• Ability to define sound business strategy and implement the same. Possess a strong business and commercial acumen with a proven track record in profit center management, managing operations and rollout of new projects
• Demonstrated ability to effectively formulate and present distribution and marketing plans; from defining the objectives, creating a plan, ensuring effective execution, analysis of the results and driving continuous improvements
• Be results driven with strong leadership, management, relationship building skills and unquestionable integrity
• Tertiary qualifications
• Excellent communication (oral/written) skills in English and Korean (oral/written) are required
• Possess comprehensive and contemporary knowledge of the theatrical business and operations in South Korea
• Advanced negotiation and problem-solving skills
• Ability to travel regularly both domestically and overseas
• Previous and relevant management experience in dynamic and solid industries
• Strong leadership skills
• Commitment to achieve excellent results
• Successful people management and development
• Analytical and visionary approaches to the business
• Strong communication skills at all levels
• Natural gravitas and personal presence
• Owns the issues and make decisions quickly
• Embrace the international structure and understand the subtlety of managing this efficiently
• Passion for the film and related industries in the media and entertainment space
• Combines creative flair with business acumen
• Ability to forge strong, local and international relationships
• Energy, drive and a positive approach
• Comfortable with ambiguity in a dynamic, changing organizational structure
• Able to multi-task and operate successfully in a very fast-paced environment
• Deep knowledge of business (past, present & future trends)
• Strategic thinker
• Strong team builder and player
• Leader by example
• Commercially & culturally astute
• Excellent negotiations skills
• Visionary (new approaches to business)
• President, Global Theatrical Marketing and Distribution
• President, International Theatrical Distribution
• President, International Theatrical Marketing
• President, International Film Production (SPE)
• EVP, International Releasing – Asia-Pacific
• VP, People & Organization – Asia-Pacific
• Functional leaders in HO, Los Angeles:Distribution, Marketing, Digital Marketing, Creative, Media, Publicity, Partnership Promotions, Research, Exhibitor Partnerships, Acquisitions & Local Productions, Finance, Administration & Operations, Post Production & Print Services, Security, Content Protection, Legal, People & Organization
• Regional and Local Finance Lead
Sony Pictures Entertainment is committed to equal opportunity in all its employment practices, policies and procedures. No worker or potential worker will therefore receive less favourable treatment due to their race, age, creed, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, disability, religion, gender, marital status or Trade Union membership (if applicable).
KOR - Seoul - SPRI
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d833kk-44-200-168-16-42 in your application.
Sony Pictures' global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies.