Software Engineer - Hydra
Sony Pictures Imageworks is located on the unceded traditional territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. We are committed to respecting traditional lands, and working with communities towards reconciliation.
Sony Pictures Imageworks is an Academy Award®-winning visual effects and animation studio known for photoreal live-action visual effects, dynamic creature and character animation and full-CG features.
What You'll Be Doing:
We have an opportunity to join a group tasked with designing and implementing a next generation pipeline to deliver assets and workflows for our Visual Effects and CG Feature Animation projects. We are looking for someone to take over the Hydra renderer integration project and oversee its integration into all our DCCs.
The position requires strong software development skills, expertise in C++ and Python, and the ability to design high quality, robust, and easy to maintain code and tools. The engineer is primarily responsible for development and implementation of Hydra into our USD pipeline. The ideal candidate is a technical expert in software development for visual effects or feature animation pipelines. To fit into this role, candidates must excel at multitasking in a highly dynamic environment and capable of working closely with software architects and domain experts across the facility.
Being central to our next generation pipeline team, you will be making improvements to Hydra and USD itself, as needed, and contributing them back to the USD Open Source project. Mentoring team members and participating in projects that span multiple disciplines along the pipeline is expected of this role. In addition to making significant contributions to the design of a world-class USD pipeline, the senior engineer will be expected to operate with a level of autonomy to take ideas from design to implementation and maintenance.
• Experience integrating renderers in to DCCs
• Experience with the APIs for third-party geometry formats: USD, Alembic, FBX, VDB
• Strong proficiency in C/C++ and python
• Proven experience in a graphics pipeline development role
• Strong proficiency in profiling and optimization of high performance software
• Working knowledge of USD, Hydra, and other open source projects (OpenImageIO, MaterialX)
• Demonstrated experience working with Hydra delegates
• Experience with major DCCs, like: Maya, Houdini, Mari, Substance, and Katana
• Understanding of real-time game engines, like Unreal Engine and Unity
• Knowledge of UI development and rapid prototyping for POC and idea generation
• Knowledge standard UI toolkits, specifically QT/PyQT
• Highly detailed and organized in work practices
• Penchant for optimization and improvement
• Great team player in a highly fluid environment
• Experienced with UNIX/Linux
• Demonstrated implementation of large-scale pipeline and asset management systems
• Experience working directly with DevOps team to customize software builds
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
We value unique perspectives, and want diverse, unique talent to work with us. We encourage candidates from all identities to apply.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx82nz-18-232-179-5-42 in your application.