Executive Director Labor Relations
Culver City, CA
Director, Music Business Affairs
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is in search of a Director, Business & Legal Affairs, to join the Music Affairs Group, located in our Culver City headquarters. Reporting to the EVP, Music Business Affairs & Administration, the Director will negotiate, draft and review a multitude of music agreements for all areas of studio operations, including theatrical, television, home entertainment, consumer products, merchandise and marketing. Position will manage all music business and legal matters for a given production, which includes doing all deals for new music, securing necessary rights, providing guidance on music issues to a number of different departments within Sony Pictures, reviewing and editing press releases and marketing materials for accuracy and legal compliance and coordinating with Music Creative and the other departments within the Music Affairs Group (Publishing, Licensing, Royalties, Madison Gate Records, etc.) to ensure that the music agreements are being properly administered. The ideal candidate will be an attorney with an advanced understanding of music publishing and copyright and all types of music royalties for both musical compositions and master recordings.
This position will be primarily responsible for the daily performance and management of the following tasks:
• Prepare agreements for the creation of new music in connection with SPE productions
• Ensure that SPE is acquiring all rights necessary to use music in SPE productions and in the marketing and promotion of SPE productions
• Counsel client groups within the studio regarding music legal issues and advise on exploitation rights of music elements
• Inform senior management of music-related matters
• Review and analyze third party royalty obligations and structure agreements to account for these obligations
• Review issues related to union and guild requirements
• Law degree
• Member of the CA Bar
• 4-7 years' experience as an attorney
• Strong client relationship skills, including the ability to support senior executives
• In-depth understanding of music rights and royalties
• Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to interact in a collaborative spirit
• Experience working productively on time-sensitive matters
• Established track record dealing with high level music attorneys, agents, managers and record and publishing executives
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong management and interpersonal skills
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roo1x4-3-235-139-152-42 in your application.
Sony Pictures' global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies.