Business and Legal Affairs Industrial Media, SPT– Summer 2023
The Sony Pictures Entertainment Internship program offers a unique opportunity to work alongside the teams that come together to create movies, TV shows, and other great experiences. These seasonal, paid assignments provide meaningful and productive work that allows you to build your resume, experience and develop your skills further. You will be provided with challenging tasks, real-world experience, valuable networking opportunities, and many educational and social opportunities. This Summer Internship is from May/June through Sept. 1st and all candidates must be able to work 40 hours a week, Monday through Friday in the specified location (start and end dates are flexible based on school schedules). This is not a remote role. A hybrid work option may or may not be available.
Industrial Media is the feature documentary, premium content, and unscripted unit within Sony Pictures Television (SPT). Through ownership interests in or with production companies Sharp Entertainment, The Intellectual Property Corporation (IPC), B17 Entertainment, 19 Entertainment, This Machine Filmworks, This Radicle Act, Trilogy Films, House of NonFiction, and Maxine, the group creates and produces content in every form of programming for audiences worldwide, currently totalling more than 100 series across 35 networks. Key programs include the global hit ''American Idol'' and ''So You Think You Can Dance'', each co-produced by 19 Entertainment for ABC and Fox, respectively, Sharp Entertainment's ''90 Day Fiance'' francise for TLC; IPC's Emmy®-winning hit documentary series ''Leah Remini: Scientology & the Aftermath'' for A&E, ''Indian Matchmaking'' and ''Night Stalker'' for Netflix and ''Selena+Chef'' for HBO Max; and B17 Entertainment's ''History of Swear Words'' for Netflix and ''Chasing the Cure'' for TNT/TBS. Additionally, 19 Recordings has launched the music careers of Platinum artists, including Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry, Phillip Philips, Lauren Alaina; and more recently, ''American Idol'' winner Laine Hardy, along with prior contestants such as Gabby Barrett, Laci Kaye Booth, Francisco Martin, and Julia Gargano.
• Productions include premium documentaries and docuseries, and non-scripted streaming and cable series
• Draft agreements including collaboration, rights-related agreements, and other production-related agreements dependent on department needs at the time
• Learn business practices and legal issues relevant to entertainment, including employment issues and IP concerns
• Take notes in meetings and calls
• Works with Development, Production, Finance and external partners (including outside law firms) to provide information, guidance and consultation services on a regular basis
• Research deal terms and issues, and provide summaries or memoranda as requested
• Also responsible for implementing and administering the business policies and procedures for department
• Continuing law student and accredited ABA law school (rising second or third-year law student preferred)
• Passion and focus on documentaries and unscripted television and strong desire to work in a business and legal affairs department of an entertainment company
• Proficient in Microsoft suite (Word, Outlook, Excel)
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Prior office work or entertainment-related work experience
• Copyright, intellectual property or entertainment law classes with a grade of B or better
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities and maintain strong attention to detail
• Work under pressure and with short deadlines across teams with fragmented responsibilities
• Second and third year law students preferred
The anticipated base salary for this position is $23/hour. This role may also qualify for comprehensive benefits. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location of the position.
USA - Van Nuys - Industrial Media
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g61mo8-3-239-117-1-42 in your application.