Associate, Contract Administration
Culver City, CA
Ad Tech & Digital Media Attorney
The Ad Tech & Digital Media Attorney will support global data-driven projects and initiatives across the company. The ideal candidate will have a combined total of 7 - 10 years of law firm and in-house experience negotiating, drafting and providing advice regarding AdTech & Digital Media transactions and initiatives, and a deep substantive knowledge of digital privacy issues. The Attorney will work closely with client groups at all levels of the company.
• Provide timely, actionable advice to business units across Sony Pictures on all aspects of their data-driven activities, including digital advertising technology, data analytics, and data solutions in compliance with global data protection laws
• Draft and negotiate agreements for data driven initiatives, including agreements with research, analytics, measurement, ad tech, and data solution providers
• Negotiate media buying agreements, data exchange agreements (DSPs, SSPs, DMPs, ad exchanges and networks, etc.), digital advertising agreements (insertion orders, variations on IAB terms, NAI/DAA compliance), and translate legal requirements into actionable advice for client teams
• Engage in detailed analysis of business unit data-driven activities to understand and assess global privacy and other potential legal risks and determine how to reconcile legal risks with business objectives
• Partner effectively with business, IT, information security, legal teams and other key stakeholders to obtain necessary information, conduct legal analysis, provide strategic advice, and ensure that all interests of affected business units are appropriately represented in the applicable legal contracts
• Help ensure Sony Pictures' data collection, use, and sharing practices align with applicable laws, regulations, self-regulatory principles, and standard methodologies
• Help develop and improve upon Sony Pictures' standard form agreements, policies, and procedures to create repeatable processes
• Keep stakeholders up to speed on the latest developments in data security, online privacy, ad tech, and digital media and build awareness
• JD degree from ABA accredited law school with strong academic credentials.
• Member of the State Bar of California or qualified to practice in California as registered in-house counsel.
• Minimum 7-10 years of relevant nationally recognized law firm and in-house AdTech and Digital Media experience, working with technology and/or media companies in the ad tech/data space (e.g., ad serving, programmatic, data management, measurement, and analytics).
• Strong transactional background, including drafting and negotiating agreements in the ad tech/data space.
• Significant experience drafting and negotiating digital marketing agreements and similar complex services agreements, including related privacy and data security provisions.
• Skills and experience necessary to advise on a broad range of the legal issues related to digital advertising businesses, including intellectual property, data protection, consumer protection and privacy issues in the context of advertising-related technology (e.g., use of beacons, cookies and cookie alternatives across devices, programmatic technologies and matching of datasets to target ads to various audience segments).
• Experience working in a cross-department, cross-functional role requiring good client relationship skills, including the ability to independently solicit the advice and input of different stakeholders as necessary and appropriate.
• Familiarity with both B2B and B2C aspects of the digital advertising ecosystem.
• Familiarity with insertion orders and IAB terms and conditions for digital advertising.
• Excellent negotiating skills, keen analytical abilities, a pragmatic approach to problem-solving, as well as a track record of success in handling complex business and legal issues in a fast-paced, agile and evolving technology-driven business environment.
• Proven ability to quickly understand complex products and services, while identifying key issues and risks and offering creative solutions for business enablement.
• Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly changing; the ability to make smart and timely decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
• Strong interpersonal skills including maturity, creativity, and a high energy level.
• Team-oriented and able to interact effectively and influence peers and all levels of management.
• Direct experience applying U.S. and non-U.S. privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines in a business context.
• Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
• High proficiency with Microsoft Office software (including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word).
• Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the company.
• Flexibility to manage multiple matters, and new areas of expertise as business needs change.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to identify, prioritize and resolve issues quickly and effectively in a complex and creative environment.
• Maintain a positive attitude, sense of humor, and a commitment to professionalism and collegiality
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Sony Pictures' global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies.