Sony Interactive Entertainment
Los Angeles, CA
Supervising Sound Designer
This position can be based in Los Angeles, San Diego, OR San Mateo/Bay Area
A creative and experienced sound designer who has a proven track record running an audio team to deliver outstanding sounding games and is interested in joining the PDSG Sound team. You want to work alongside our development partners at AAA studios such as Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac Games, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch Productions and more…
As it turns out:
We are looking for a Supervising Sound Designer to join our award winning team to craft high quality audio content for 1st and 2nd party product development projects. As part of our team, you will have the opportunity to work with some of the most quality-driven developers in the industry and on some of the most exciting AAA games for PlayStation.
Sound Direction: Working with our development partners, you will help oversee all aspects of a games' sound, help define the sound vision, hire and assemble the PDSG sound team, and coordinate various sound disciplines internally.
• Provide direction/leadership and supervision to PDSG sound design team.
• Build sound design schedules and suggest business initiatives that will impact future projects and direction.
• Partner with talent acquisition on staffing needs; actively participate in interviewing and hiring.
Design: You will be accountable for the overall sound direction at the project level, and work with our development partners to establish creative and conceptual direction.
• Ensure creative and technical designs align with project vision and schedule.
• Influence overall project sound design aesthetic and help create plans for live services.
• Review design and implementation plans and communicate impact to senior development partners.
Implementation: You have a solid understanding of all sound design domains, and seek to bring new and emerging technologies to our projects.
• You will help establish implementation techniques and systems for multiple projects across multiple engines/middleware.
• Define work needed for performance optimization.
• Be responsible for sound design implementation quality and for performance optimization strategies.
Process & Planning: You will help schedule and manage the PDSG sound design team.
• Form positive relationships with development partners and serve as main point of contact.
• You will assist in goal planning, task estimation, scheduling and creating and maintaining asset lists for the project.
• Work with our development partners and internal sound team to help create Sound Target documentation and identify asset needs.
• Collaborate with development partners to solve technical and/or quality issues.
Tool & Technical Proficiency: You learn and adapt in a constantly evolving environment when it comes to game and sound technologies, and educate and share your knowledge with the team.
• You will actively train and mentor the team on tool usage and philosophies, while recommending tool choices and best practices (both internally and externally).
• Participate in setting and ensuring performance metrics and quality bars.
• Partner with our technical and engineering groups to help develop tools and methods for next generation sound design production.
Recording/Audio Acquisition: You will manage planning for recording sessions, while demonstrating a high level of proficiency in editing, mastering and asset management.
• Mentor junior team members in techniques and planning.
• Collaborate with Dialogue team where needed ensure assets being recorded fit the specified requirements.
• Partner across teams to deliver high quality assets and ensure dedicated support for library management.
Leadership & Management: You will support the professional goals and development opportunities for direct reports.
• Provide coaching (internal development opportunities, mentoring, one-on-ones).
• Plan and execute (or secure) relevant training and conferences for the team.
• Create a supportive and inclusive team environment.
• Minimum 8 years' experience, or
• Minimum 3 shipped AAA games in a leadership role.
• Minimum one development cycle managing, coaching, and mentoring sound designers.
• Strong executive communication and presentation skills.
• Proven leadership skills and capabilities.
• Fluent in interactive audio and post production techniques.
• Expert command of sound design & mixing techniques, processes and tools.
• Multi-specialized, able to create world class audio content spread across multiple aesthetics.
• Imaginative use of audio production tools, Foley performance and capture, props, and recording techniques to create high quality original content.
• Familiar with authoring techniques within commercial middleware (WWISE, FMOD, etc…).
• Experience working with game development teams and coordinating with various game departments such as animation, level design, AI, physics, mechanics, etc.
• Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.