Full Time Job
Shg Associate Art Director - Toronto
- Full Time
- Executive (10+ years) Experience
Job DescriptionSHG Associate Art Director – Toronto
Sledgehammer Games, award winning developer of several titles in the Call of Duty franchise, is looking for talented developers to join us as founding members of our new Toronto team. This group will partner with our global teams in Foster City, California and Melbourne, Victoria in the creation of epic content for some of the biggest games in the world. This is an opportunity to help grow and shape a AAA team from the ground up, adding new skills to your armory while gaining the unique satisfaction that only comes from building something brand new. Join us on our quest to maintain and improve a healthy and inspiring studio culture!
The studio is navigating their 2nd decade of game development, focused on constant evolution, innovation and qualified risk-taking – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class content production and engineering teams, we've been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we're looking for talented game developers for our exciting new projects.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it's like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
As our newest teammate, you will work side by side with our Art Director as a key partner in the execution of the Art of Call of Duty. The role requires you to ignite others both as a leader and as an artist, specialization and mastery in at least one area of video game art creation (environment, character, animation, FX, concept art/visual development, etc.) is required. As a leader you are a motivational catalyst for the art team. As an artist, you will help define the look and quality of the COD style. In addition to channeling the visual direction of our Art Director to the art team, the role will act as one of the key communication conduits for design, engineering, and productions.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
• Work with Art Director to drive artistic development
• Create concept paintings and other benchmark assets that set the bar and inspire others.
• Ensure understanding and belief in the art vision across artists, art leads, and other directors.
• Creatively solve visual problems in collaboration with the broader game team including other Directors, Art Leads, and Artists.
• Take creative ownership over projects from concept to completion.
• Present ideas and concepts to Directors and stakeholders and incorporate feedback when needed.
• Partner with the Art Director and Art Leads to ensure consistency of quality and vision for the art of Call of Duty.
• Partner with the production team to ensure schedules and plans meet project and business needs.
• Partner with Art Manager to ensure team is healthy and growing artistically.
• Bachelor's degree OR equivalent art portfolio
• 10+ years' experience crafting video game art
• You have proven yourself in a leadership capacity as a Lead Artist, Supervisor, or Art Director on at least one shipped AAA game
• Genuinely enjoys working with others.
• Takes initiative to solve problems with excellent follow through
• Thrives in a collaborative work culture
• Experience working with an Art Director to develop a unique and cohesive visual style
• Works closely with game design to ensure art enhances the player experience
• Ability to explore a wide variety of ideas that push the COD style
• Knowledge of photography principals and image correction techniques.
• Experience playing Call of Duty or Similar First-Person-Shooters.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4y26v-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment.