Sledgehammer Games, award winning developer of several titles in the Call of Duty franchise, is looking for talented developers to join us as founding members of our new Toronto team. This group will partner with our global teams in Foster City, California and Melbourne, Victoria in the creation of epic content for some of the biggest games in the world. This is an opportunity to help grow and shape a AAA team from the ground up, adding new skills to your armory while gaining the unique satisfaction that only comes from building something brand new. Join us on our quest to maintain and improve a healthy and inspiring studio culture!
The studio is navigating their 2nd decade of game development, focused on constant evolution, innovation and qualified risk-taking – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class content production and engineering teams, we've been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we're looking for talented game developers for our exciting new projects.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it's like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
• Act as the level design leader for all content produced by the Toronto team.
• Lead by example in the hands-on creation of content as part of the team's output.
• Work with franchise owners within other Activision studios to ensure content developed by SHG Toronto fits with franchise creative pillars.
• Partner with the recruitment team to identify key hires, taking an active role in building the core team.
• Interpret high-level vision into clear guidance for the team, holding regular reviews and providing iterative feedback to meet the required quality bar.
• Mentor and lead the level design team, taking an active interest in their development.
• Work with user research during playtests to identify iterative improvements and changes.
• Rally the team and create visible, wide-spread support for direction.
• Communicate progress and resolution of issues with the ability to set guidelines for peers and support teams.
• Represent the team's work at global SHG all-hands meetings when required.
• Build effective working relationships with key creative and production stakeholders across SHG, helping to ensure consistency of output from the studio.
• Over time, become a key creative leader at the studio with a highly visible presence at team all-hands and other studio events, visiting the Foster City and Melbourne teams when required.
• Promote the studio's 'One Sledgehammer' philosophy, to help ensure members of the Toronto team feel truly part of the wider studio. Proactively raise any issues regarding team cohesion with studio Leadership.
• 8+ years of industry experience working in the field of level design on AAA titles.
• Expansive knowledge of game design with appreciation and understanding for the other disciplines.
• Ability to pitch concepts clearly and concisely, and which demonstrate critical thinking.
• Experience working with proprietary engines and toolsets.
• Strong understanding of geometry building, flow, and layout.
• Solid understanding of level design with ability to clearly discuss modern trends.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Hunger for gaming (especially online) with a broad range of game experience.
• An egoless attitude that welcomes feedback and criticism, and enjoys working in a collaborative, iterative, and agile process.
• An analytical approach and the ability to break down complex problems into consumable and relevant pieces for others.
• Experience taking major AAA console and PC games from concept to completion.
• Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills.
• 2+ years of experience as a lead level designer, with at least one shipped title in this position.
• Prior experience working on a games-as-a-service product.
• Experience working on projects involving multiple internal and external partners, and with established franchises where close collaboration with publishing owners is required.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj8pb1-18-205-192-201-42 in your application.