Iowa's News Now is looking for an investigative multimedia journalist who isn't afraid to hold people in powerful positions accountable.
KGAN has a history of award winning, impactful investigative journalism. If you thrived off that kind of advocacy storytelling, keep reading!
Our next investigator will be a leader in innovative and visual storytelling, as well as being the editorial leader successfully navigating through both immediate and long-term investigative series.
The ideal candidate will have experience in open records, FOIA, media law, social and digital production. In addition to investigative pieces, this investigator will thrive off digging into investigative angles for breaking news.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and maintain contacts and sources in the community to enterprise story ideas
• Identify and pitch investigative angles to big daily news stories
• Develop a network of sources and experts to generate investigative stories on a regular basis
• Write online versions of investigative reports and work with Digital Investigative Producer on ''web extra'' content for each investigation
• Maintain an active social media presence to build our brand and solicit original story ideas
• Other duties as assigned
• Work with news leadership to enterprise & develop investigative stories daily and longer term
• Demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots, stand-ups, creative graphics, and visual punctuation.
• Promote teamwork and maintain an attitude of cooperation.
• Must be able to develop and maintain sources
• Ability to shoot and edit for air
• Dynamic live television and storytelling skills are a must
• Strong social media skillset for both research and promoting stories as well as gathering viewer input
• Knowledge of the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) process, computer-assisted reporting, and data-driven reporting along with familiarity of legal issues related to investigative television news reporting are essential
• Strong writing skills and knowledge of current events
• 3 years of reporting experience preferred
• History of award-winning investigative journalism preferred
While applying please provide an online portfolio / reel link for review.
We offer an excellent benefit package which includes medial, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), three weeks vacation, flex spending, employee discounts and much more!
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw2jvk-18-207-160-97-42 in your application.