Sr Level Designer
Santa Monica Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking a Senior Narrative Designer for the development of a new unannounced title! If you love collaborating with talented developers to create genre-defining games, join us as we embark on a new journey.
The ideal candidate not only has deep knowledge of writing complex narratives for games, but is capable of executing the narrative within the game through the intended player experience. This individual will be responsible for designing and implementing narrative systems that support the project goals.
• Work with the Lead Narrative Designer to ensure that the intended narrative vision is realized through designing quality and efficient narrative systems and integration of narrative scenes into the game.
• Utilize visual scripting systems, Maya, and in-house tools to author narrative content.
• Implement narrative sequences, mechanics and systems by working with engineering, animation and other groups.
• Partner closely with Level Design to ensure the full realization of the narrative vision in the player experience.
• Help define and improve the narrative design process working with the Lead Narrative Designer and other design disciplines to ensure consistency across the design of the game.
• Champion the narrative experience with the design and narrative teams. This may include pitching new ideas, scripts, character bios, quests and world lore.
• Partner with writers to ensure the plot and key narrative beats are executed based on the overall game direction.
• Collaborate with engineering to develop tools that support efficient and iterative development of narrative content.
• Support the tone, voice and deeper themes of the game based on the overall game direction.
• Work with the project directors, leads and producers to support interdisciplinary collaboration across art, animation, design, audio, programming, and user research to reach project goals.
• Maintain a studio environment and team culture that supports a quality focused experience.
• Minimum of 5+ years of experience in a professional narrative or design role including at least one shipped AAA game title.
• Experience working with a game engine to implement cinematics, game VO, or events.
• Knowledge of contemporary gameplay and narrative design, with an understanding of different narrative systems/delivery mechanisms.
• Skills and experience to quickly turn around feedback.
• Strong collaboration, communication, and organizational skills.
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced team environment.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.