Sr Narrative Designer
Santa Monica Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking a quality obsessed Senior Level Designer for the development of a new unannounced title! You will be designing and implementing gameplay, taking direction from the Lead Level Designers and Project Directors.
As a Sr Level Designer, you are a master collaborator capable of exciting and energizing those around you. You demonstrate an ability to take a level design from concept, through all development stages, to completion, including planning, 2D and 3D layout, event scripting, encounter design, and a strong sense of pacing. You naturally work across all disciplines and are a hub for activity. You are able to partner closely with our producers as well as clearly communicate across the team and drive toward quality.
You feel an inherent responsibility for player immersion and fun, channeling your time and talents into realizing incredibly memorable experiences.
In the Senior Level Designer role, you will collaborate with the Lead Level Designers and the Design Director on the following:
• Planning design via 2D maps, diagrams, and written documentation.
• Building 3D layout such as blockmesh and world authoring.
• Scripting events and interactions.
• Creating level flow that emphasizes Encounter, Puzzle, Exploration and Narrative pacing.
• Communicating the level's design by: leading design discussion and reviews, participating in and/or leading level-production related meetings.
• Contributing toward establishing standards, conventions, and metrics that help guide the team toward quality and consistency.
• Providing in-house staff education on technical level design issues, tools use, and the best implementation practices.
• Forming positive working relationships and demonstrate design process with other Designers, Design Director, Game Director, Design Manager, Art Director, Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Lead Animator, etc.
You bring to the position the following attributes:
• Advanced game design knowledge (both practical and theoretical) that explains the 'why' and intent behind your designs.
• A deep understanding of how to design and build environments that support combat, traversal, puzzles, and narrative.
• Ego-less collaboration skills used to rally teammates around work tasks and creative challenges.
• Comprehensive knowledge of Maya, engine/editor tools, or other 3D world building software.
• Experience working with scripting languages or visual scripting systems used to create gameplay logic and event choreography.
• An endless hunger to grow, learn, and improve as a designer.
• 3+ years in game development, or equivalent experience showcased in a portfolio of work.
• 5+ years in game development, with at least 2 years in Level Design specific role.
• Full development cycle experience for at least 2 published triple-A titles.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.