Santa Monica Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
This is an opportunity to contribute to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating environments and level assets.
As a Senior Environment Artist, you will effectively collaborate with a wide-range of development team members outside of their direct discipline, such as the Art Director, Designers, Technical Artists, Animators, Programmers and Producers, to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations.
• A high-level contributor to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to create environments within the studio. Must have the ability to develop a comprehensive knowledge of the entire art production pipeline and all engine tools and systems associated with the creation of art assets and level layout.
• Content creation, including 3D modeling/sculpting, 2D texture map painting, material setup/UV layout, and LOD creation according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters and production goals.
• Maintain the artistic direction and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
• Take ownership on specific region of the game environment and facilitate requests or info needs regarding any aspect of this environment/level art creation process as needed.
• Mentoring and Managing the day to day of artists who assist you in creating environments. This includes on-boarding new artists, giving timely feedback and directing work duties.
• Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. Entails collaborating with Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing in alignment with schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
• Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
• May serve as an artistic resource for overall product or studio needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge techniques and testing new systems or tools, techniques, providing training, and transmitting industry related information.
• 7+ years of industry experience or related experience.
• Proficient in the use of Maya, (or 3D modeling package) Zbrush, and Substance Designer and Painter. Houdini experience is a plus.
• Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, particle systems, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, SFX and engine parameters/optimizations.
• Good communication, organizational, time management, mentoring, and interpersonal skills.
• Works under minimal direction to determine and develop approach to solutions.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.