QA Test Analyst
Santa Monica Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking an experienced Sr Combat Designer for the development of a new unannounced title! The Sr Combat Designer will assist, collaborate with, and take direction from the Lead Combat Designer and Game Director as needed on any the following: character and boss designs from concept to implementation completion, including character animation implementation and tuning, environmental character impact, special effects, sound effects, AI gameplay scenario layout and gameplay tuning, controller configuration, gameplay features, magic distribution, character balance and ramping.
• Work within the set standard for all character asset design, creation and in-game implementation within the production path as it relates to design, art and otherwise.
• Participate in required production related meetings and functions as needed. Attend and participate in combat-specific discussions concerning combat design and combat design issues.
• Must comprehend a working knowledge of the game production pipeline in order to communicate effectively with other team members.
• Must understand the relationship between gameplay elements within the level and the overall game and all of the ways the player can respond to each gameplay element.
• Experience using a text-based scripting language to set-up character logic.
• Basic knowledge of scripting languages and code (e.g., XML, C++, PERL) is preferred but not required.
• Must be able to grasp and work with code-based proprietary tools to implement and troubleshoot assigned characters.
• Must have knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of video game fun.
• Must possess quality written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts.
• Ability to think logically with a strong level of attention to detail.
• Must be able to professionally communicate and work with other members of the game production team (both internally and externally).
• Must have excellent communication while still keeping the overall vision of the game in mind.
• 4 plus years in game development, with at least 2 years in Combat or Character Design (creative and technical) specific role.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.