Associate Technical Narrative Designer
Santa Monica Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking a Lead Writer. If you love collaborating with talented developers to create genre defining games, join us as we embark on a new journey.
The ideal candidate has a mastery of storytelling, and deeply understands the marriage between gameplay and narrative. This individual will be responsible for crafting powerful storylines, strong character arcs, and compelling dialogue, while maintaining an equal focus on building and developing the writing team.
• Partner with the project directors to oversee and contribute to the creation of the story and writing of the game's narrative elements to ensure it meets their intended vision. This includes writing and reviewing pitches, scripts, character bios, and world lore.
• Lead, build and guide a team of writers through the project lifecycle.
• Partner with narrative design leadership to ensure the plot and key narrative beats are executed properly based on the overall game direction.
• Collaborate with the project directors and narrative team on managing/recording VO sessions and casting VO/performance actors.
• Work with the project directors, leads and producers to support interdisciplinary collaboration across art, animation, design, audio, programming, and user research to reach project goals.
• Coordinate with the gameplay and other narrative leads to ensure a balanced cohesion of story and gameplay.
• Maintain a studio environment and team culture that supports a quality focused experience.
• Contribute to studio and team building efforts including team training/development, recruiting, community outreach, and industry networking.
• Assist in ancillary project needs, such as writing for further franchise development, marketing, and other promotional pieces.
• Minimum of 10+ years of experience in a professional writing role including multiple published works or shipped games.
• Shipped at least 1 AAA game title in a Lead or Senior writing role.
• Experience working through all phases of writing within AAA game development.
• Knowledge of contemporary gameplay and narrative design, with an understanding of different narrative systems/delivery mechanisms.
• Skills and experience to quickly turn around feedback.
• Strong collaboration, communication, and organizational skills.
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced team environment.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.