Santa Monica Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking an experienced Gameplay Design Director for the development of an upcoming title! If you love collaborating with talented developers to create defining games, join us as we embark on a new journey.
The Gameplay Design Director is an industry veteran who has world-class design experience. They will be responsible for overseeing multiple design teams to deliver on the core gameplay vision and execute on the game pillars. The ideal candidate has been in a senior/lead design role on multiple single-player titles, and is able to leverage their personal expertise in combat, systems, and progression design to create immersive and engaging player experiences.
• Partner with the Game Directors to ensure that the gameplay design direction of the project meets the intended vision. This includes but is not limited to the areas of combat, systems and mechanics, player controls, camera, UX, game and player progression, and user research.
• Build, lead, and guide a team of cross disciplinary designers through the life of the project.
• Break down and communicate the design vision of the game to the design team such that it can be executed in a tangible and consistent way.
• Work with the other directors, leads, and producers to support inter and cross-disciplinary collaboration across art, animation, design, audio, programming, and user research to reach project goals.
• Collaborate with engineering to develop tools that support efficient and iterative development.
• Maintain a studio environment and team culture that supports a quality focused experience.
• Contribute to studio and team building efforts including team training/development, recruiting, community outreach, and industry networking.
• Minimum of 10+ years of experience in a professional design role.
• Shipped at least 1 AAA game title in a lead design or design director role.
• Knowledge of contemporary gameplay and level design with experience designing a variety of combat, mechanics, and progression systems.
• Able to breakdown and design fun and complex enemies and melee systems.
• Deep sense of posing, timing, and importance of animation in the design of strong gameplay.
• Skills and experience to quickly turn around feedback.
• Strong collaboration, communication, and organizational skills.
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced team environment.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC'S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
• • Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
• Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
• Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
• Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
• Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
• Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpke9o-3-238-173-209-42 in your application.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.