Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members' work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work.
What You'll Do
At the direction of the National Director, GAPP, and Chief Deputy General Counsel, GAPP, helps to implement SAG-AFTRA's legislative and policy positions and strategies, including correspondence about legislative and policy matters and soliciting member outreach and engagement on policy initiatives. This position works with staff and outside lobbyists to track federal, state and local law, regulation and policy of interest to the SAG-AFTRA membership. Assists with administrative functions for the National, LA and NY GAPP committees.
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Prepares materials and assists with written commentary and official memoranda on legislative and policy issues of importance to SAG-AFTRA.
• Identifies opportunities for participation in industry and labor coalitions to further legislative and policy goals.
• Working with GAPP staff and Local staff around the country, tracks, monitors, and then assists with implementation of appropriate actions (support or opposition) on legislative matters as they are developed and introduced.
• In consultation with the Communications department, helps to publicly promote the department's work and accomplishments at all levels internally and externally.
• Assists in the preparation of reports for SAG-AFTRA executive staff, Local and National Committees, Local Boards and the National Board. Assists with the engagement of high profile members to further SAG-AFTRA's legislative and policy events and activities.
• Perform other duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
What You'll Need
We want to make sure you're successful. To be considered, you must have:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality of information.
• Able to use PC applications.
• Negotiating skills, able to negotiate with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to work in a very high-paced environment.
• Demonstrated interpretative and analytic ability.
• Able to work independently.
• Experience leading organization-wide culture change, with proven ability to break down departmental barriers in order to pave new paths, which may be in conflict with existing organizational culture.
• Strong operational and administrative background, as well as the ability to work quickly and react to critical issues.
• Experience managing projects of similar size and scope.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to communicate effectively in English, in both verbal and written form.
• Detail oriented.
• Able to organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks under daily deadlines.
• Able to work under pressure; high energy.
• Superlative interpersonal skills; high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, both internally and externally.
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment, where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Bachelor's degree in related field.
• 1 to 4 years' experience in an entertainment, media, or labor entity or advocacy group working on issues relevant to professional performers.
What You'll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5p4wz-54-80-173-217-42 in your application.