Riot Visual Designers seek to craft the best player experiences through their knowledge of systemic design, graphic design, interactivity, layout, typography, color theory and illustration. Designers collaborate with cross disciplinary teams and act as both artistic and design problem solvers. They understand players and ask questions about the what, who and how when solving for an interface or communication challenge.
VALORANT is Riot's take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Visual Designer on the VALORANT Platform Extensions team, you will assist in the production of Menus for Riot's brand new title. You will keep the players' experience in mind as you work with diverse teams to help build foundational ideas and concepts for VALORANT's upcoming content. You will work collaboratively with designers, writers, and producers to bring new worlds to life. You will also report to the Asset Art Lead.
• Experienced: whether you've spent the past five years honing your artistic skills to a fine point or building a portfolio of intuitive, interactive visual assets, you most likely designed engaging web or in-game UI experiences or personally created brand identities for products, games or services
• Artistic: you're either a master illustrator and painter and an ace with Photoshop and similar 2D programs or you've mastered creatively conceptualizing digital experiences; either way, you possess exceptional aesthetic judgment with a keen eye for light, color, value, form, typography and composition
• Visionary: you see the big picture so you're passionate about creating experiences that test the limits of so-called ''normal UI''; you're up to speed on the latest interactive design trends and you look even further ahead
• Sublimely systematic: you understand screen-wide flow, so you're able to ensure stylistic consistency and create new assets that mesh with a defined aesthetic; your approach to design helps you appreciate analytics and user research data to inform and guide your decisions
• Collaborative: you're comfortable working alongside teams of artists, programmers and designers and are open to feedback, both giving and receiving; you enjoy helping grow the skills of junior designers and recognize that mentoring is a two-way street that you love driving on
• Multi-dimensional: you're not just a flat character; you have a keen sense for layout and screen organization and can think in 3D to use depth and layers to craft an accessible UI that conveys information easily
• Organized: you might be an artist, but you're able to leverage your left brain to keep everything prioritized and on time
• Player-focused: as a gamer and League of Legends player yourself, you know how important a slick, readable UI is to a positive game experience; you'll draw on your love for gaming to build an interface that transforms button-clicking into an immersive, interactive experience
• Imagine and compose UI elements for use across our game in Unreal game engine;
• Create polished in-game UI that enhance player interactions and help deepen the player experience;
• Generate, maintain and disseminate design documents such as style guides and design pattern libraries that facilitate a high-quality, consistent visual aesthetic;
• Design and Implement memory efficient artwork into the Unreal game engine;
• Script UI using the Blueprint Visual Scripting system in the Unreal Engine;
• Ensure UI assets are optimal as possible by balancing the art needs with tech restraints;
• Work with various VALORANT teams to ensure UI assets and features are functioning correctly in the client;
• Collaborate with other artists in various sub-disciplines as needed;
• Foster an open creative environment where teammates collaborate to help each other create better artwork through honest criticism and feedback;
• +2 years of experience in User Interface Art for games;
• Experience implementing UI art with Unreal or similar game Engines;
• Experience with industry standard art creation pipelines, workflows and tools;
• Willingness to roll-up sleeves and directly contribute to all aspects of the art/creative process;
• Experience working and collaborating with with developers in various disciplines;
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Experience working in one or more related disciplines - art, animation, technical art, visual effects;
• Experiencing working on a AAA game title;
• Experience working with external partners;
• Familiar with the basic outsource workflow;
• Experience with basic scripting languages such as Python or Mel.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d81y5m-52-205-167-104-42 in your application.