Established in 2020, the Singapore Studio is Riot's second international game development studio. Working together with our Hong Kong Studio, Riot has been expanding our footprint in Asia and accelerating our talent growth to develop games that deliver great experiences to our players. Our mission is to ''scale Riot's games to hyper-serve players. We partner with our LA headquarters on game development for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. We're also building teams for VALORANT and Project L, our take on a fighting game. The Singapore Studio is seeking talented, passionate Rioters with backgrounds in all areas of game development to build games that make it better to be a player.
We're focused on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity, so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where you come in.
VALORANT is Riot's take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a discipline lead for the VALORANT VFX team, you'll lead a team to design and help implement the stylish and dynamic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay, without sacrificing gameplay readability. You will build and support a high performing external team, and give them the guidance and context they need in order to deliver amazing VFX that set industry standards on craft, whilst enriching the storytelling of the product they support. Through a mix of craft training and hands on leadership, you will level up the team's craft, mediate and resolve craft disagreements and misalignments, and keep the team motivated towards creating excellent experiences for our players. Using your broad knowledge of the art, craft and technique of VFX, you'll set clear goals for your team, and make sure the process of delivering those goals is as smooth as possible for both your team and their stakeholders.
You will partner closely with the product teams and other artists, ensuring the VFX are not only excellent in a vacuum, but also aligns with the larger product. You will maintain your own craft skills, inspire creativity and keep a high quality bar with hands on VFX work as you deem necessary.
• As a craft lead on the team, you will oversee the quality of the work the team deliver, and set the bar for excellence
• You will build a world class team by sourcing AAA talent in China, and develop and grow their skills through training and feedback
• You will collaborate with Rioters in Hong Kong, Singapore and worldwide, to make sure product goals are fulfilled and working practices are appropriate
• You will set a clear vision, provide consistent feedback, build trust with your team
• Drive the development of Style Guides and Process Guides
• Lead and improve team rituals to support high quality craft and individual growth
• You will accomplish your mission with complete autonomy if the need arises; you're dedicated in finding creative and effective solutions to vigilantly eliminate difficult problems
• Demonstrated ability to create high quality in game VFX
• Extreme proficiency in art fundamentals, visual storytelling and color theory
• Expertise in the VALORANT VFX style
• At least 5 years of proven experience leading/mentoring teams and individuals. Growth minded and motivated towards teaching, enabling, and coaching other artists
• Experience giving thorough direction and delivering timely, clear feedback
• A strong communicator and able to convey abstract/sophisticated ideas in a concise way, in English or in Chinese
• Art Leadership experience
• Experience with creating VFX in Unreal (Niagara, Cascade)
• Experience teaching Art, and VFX in particular, on-line or in person
• Familiarly with VALORANT - the game, it's products, it's players and community
• Familiarity with VALORANT Characters, IP Universes and Lore
• Mandarin speaker
• Full relocation support
• Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
• Open paid time off
• Retirement benefits with company matching
• Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
• Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
• We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don't forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we'll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
As a part of the application process, candidates are expected to provide a portfolio of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.