Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As Software Engineers, we work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Staff Software Engineer (Java) on Teamfight Tactics, you will work on a multi-disciplinary team with artists, designers and product managers to create and support the many facets of play. You will be responsible for ensuring Teamfight Tactics can sustainably grow as the lead engineer responsible for service architecture and development. You will report to an Engineering Manager on the Teamfight Tactics team.
• Lead a team of engineers to design and build the services required to support Teamfight Tactics
• Work with product leadership to identify opportunities in the game space that will require or benefit from new service development or refinement
• Coordinate work and maintain relationships with partner service teams across the League of Legends and Riot Games ecosystem
• Ensure the team is adhering to engineering excellence which includes: code maintainability, quality, monitoring, operational excellence, and documentation. Provides and champions ''definition of done'' to their team
• Be on rotational on-call for live product support and operational assessment
• Work with team leadership to develop opportunities for engineers to grow their skills
• Provide meaningful code reviews for other members of the team
• Work collaboratively with non technical customers to accomplish deliverables
• 6+ years of deep hands-on programming experiences building services using Java
• Experience designing architectures for large distributed systems comprising multiple services while maintaining high throughput and scale.
• Experience with maintaining live services coupled with handling emergent and on-call issues
• Experience developing large product features, including gathering requirements, designing scalable, production-ready architecture, breaking down the project into smaller work items, and leading the development across multiple contributors
• Experience as a tech lead or equivalent role, helping grow other engineers and fostering an inclusive team culture
• Experience implementing software engineering best practices within your team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, tools improvements, source control management, build processes, and testing
• Prior game development experience at any level
• Experience with Android/iOS development or building services to support mobile-first apps
• Experience with C / C++
• Understand software performance and influence latency in online games
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).