Sony Interactive Entertainment
Los Angeles, CA
As Software Engineers at Riot, we bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas and also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. We work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome complex problems and to deliver player value.
As a Software Engineer I (Gameplay) on League of Legends' Champions team, you will bring gameplay technical knowledge and collaboration skills to continue to grow our diverse and impactful League of Legends Champion Roster. You will report into the Team Engineering Manager who will support you by providing connection, alignment, and mentoring to achieve player, Riot, and personal growth goals.
• Collaborate within a cross-disciplinary team (including Game Designers, Artists, Animators, and Producers) to shape the Champions that players experience
• Communicate technical tradeoffs to designers, producers, and artists on their designs and ideas
• Deliver exciting, innovative, and player focused champion centric gameplay experiences
• Collaborates with team and works independently on technical design and implementation
• Design and build gameplay features in the League of Legends game engine using C++, content tools and game scripting
• Design and build game content tooling to support cross-disciplinary teams (including Game Designers, Artists, Animators, and Producers)
• Make design and implementation decisions impacting the technical direction of a project
• Contribute to the overall quality of League through tech debt reduction and defect removal
• Mentor other engineers and technical designers in the gameplay engineering space
• 2 yrs collective professional experience using C++
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or comparable field or equivalent experience
• Experience working with non-engineering collaborators to deliver value including game design, art, narrative, and QA
• Experience with game development
• Familiarity with game development engines such as Unity, Unreal, and/or Proprietary engines
• Familiarity with building game content tools and pipelines
• Familiarity with Lua
• Experience mentoring fellow developers
• Experience with Lean or Agile development processes (i.e. - Scrum, Kanban)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re8887-3-236-122-9-42 in your application.
Riot Games was founded in 2006 to develop, publish, and support the most player-focused games in the world. In 2009, we released our debut title, League of Legends, to worldwide acclaim. League has gone on to be the most-played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports.