Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in many broader domains. As a Senior Manager, Software Engineering, you'll pioneer innovative ideas around product strategy across the VALORANT core game loop and the competitive space. You'll also serve as an advisor to other managers, supporting plans to improve organizational design and structure. You'll be responsible for delivering innovative modes and great player experiences across the VALORANT ecosystem. This role will allow you to collaborate across the product to deliver great value for our players.
You will report to the Director, Software Engineering for VALORANT.
VALORANT is Riot's take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). In this role leading the VALORANT Gameplay Systems Engineering Team, you will be responsible for building and improving the full stack of Game Modes in VALORANT: from scalable backend services to the performant game client and server tech. You'll own the technical direction for how the core VALORANT gameplay is built, that it scales, and operates in production. You will collaborate heavily with Design and Product Management to build in and out of game systems that create new and exciting ways to engage with VALORANT.
• Create, review, and reframe an engineering vision with the team and key stakeholders including the Technology, Product, and Process Leads.
• Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, test, and release of player-facing features while continuously improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
• Be excited to span the entire VALORANT tech stack - from our Golang services and infrastructure internals to our client/server game systems in C++ and UE4 blueprints. We're not looking for someone who's an expert across the board, but you'll need to get comfortable leading across a broad technology stack.
• Collaborate effectively with art, design, and other disciplines within game development.
• Identify, recruit, interview, and hire software engineers to help teams scale effectively.
• Build and manage strong relationships between disciplines
• Lead, grow, and coach team members to build talent over the long term
• Demonstrate a high bar of craft excellence for your team
• Cultivate your team's culture of collaboration, creativity, and passion for game making
• 5+ years as an Engineering Manager/Director of Engineering working on teams that ship consumer- or player-facing products.
• 6+ years professional experience as a software engineer.
• Ability to scale yourself through other leaders and hold teams accountable for shipping high-quality software.
• Expertise in project management, prioritization frameworks, and guiding investment strategies in people and systems.
• 2+ years of Golang or other managed code experience
• 2+ years of C++ or other low-level code experience
• 1+ years of experience with distributed systems
• Experience with Unreal Engine
• Engagement with the Shooter Genre
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx7qz4-3-235-120-150-42 in your application.