As a Game Designer, you design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. You will use your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity to help craft in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Game Designer III on an early prototype project within Riot R&D, you will drive our character, camera, and control system to a higher level of excellence. You will leverage your expertise to develop and solve complex mechanics and input challenges that will build towards an exceptional play feel. You will optimize the gamepad controls experience, drive competitive integrity, and ensure our game has a deep well of long term mastery and skill expression.
• Establish and implement design principles and techniques that build to industry leading control and camera systems
• Evangelize for player accessibility and construct designs intended for all players
• Participate in and guide technical design, documentation, and implementation
• Work collaboratively with engineering, animation, and other game designers to create great gameplay experiences
• Identify new design spaces and opportunities in collaboration with Product Managers and External Advisors
• 5+ years of experience in professional game design experience, with at least 2 years owning or being a major contributor on gamepad controls
• Deep knowledge of game feel approaches and camera best practices
• History of feature ownership in high speed development with successes in managing tradeoffs between bold goals and shipping value to players
• Can document the details of complex design structures and partnering with diverse teams members to provide those systems to players
• Strong communication and empathy needed to work with teams working across the globe with variable audience needs
• Experience shipping Unreal Engine games
• Experience developing novel movement systems
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $140,100 USD - $195,700 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn0j5k-44-197-101-251-42 in your application.