Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it's for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
As the Senior Director of Software Engineering for Teamfight Tactics (TFT) you will lead a growing team of 30+ engineers and managers in addition to coordination with co-development partners, both internal and external. This is a broad technology leadership role, spanning several domains including asset creation and content tooling along with client, game, and services development to create full stack game features.
You will work closely with technical and product leadership stakeholders from teams across the studio, and will oversee the multi-year planning, technical vision, and execution/delivery for the in and out of game features that drive TFT's success. As an engineering leader, you will support the Engineering organization with whatever is needed to maintain its health, from both team and craft perspectives, and to ensure that engineering efforts are aligned with product, League Studio, and Riot's technical vision. As Product Engineering Lead for TFT, you will report to the Executive Producer.
• Design, implement, and maintain a discipline structure to meet objectives and ensure healthy teams, people and craft
• Hire world-class Engineers by stewarding our hiring best practices and ensuring the engineers we hire level us up
• Own the health and development of the tech org and its structure, and ensure the appropriate growth plans for your engineers and leaders and train them to be effective creators of player value
• Plan optimal technical solutions to meet player needs – not always the most technically awesome – in alignment with Product and Studio technical direction
• Articulate the player value of technical decisions and partner with product owners and other discipline leads to collectively make good trade-offs between technical quality, technical debt, and shipping features
• Build and maintain strong relationships with your cross-discipline product leadership team, while advocating for Tech needs, driving the right balanced choices between product and technology
• Ensure your team has a technical vision that is aligned with product goals. Share visibility with the rest of League Studios to maximize cross-BU alignment opportunities
• Collaborate with other studio Engineering Leads to represent the TFT tech vision and maintain a high bar for studio engineering best practices such as design and review processes
• Be accountable for compliance and security issues relevant to your space and ensure code, services, and production environments are compliant with necessary regulations
• Oversee co-development initiatives and own the results of your external partners
• BS in Computer Science and/or experience as a Senior Software Engineer or higher
• 10+ years prior experience in software engineering
• 4+ years prior experience managing across multiple teams
• Demonstrated ability to recognize leadership capabilities, and mentor individual contributors into management and leadership roles
• Experience growing and mentoring those around them across all roles and levels
• Experience collaborating with members outside of their immediate organization to achieve team/organization goals
• Demonstrated success working with Product Owners and Disciplines beyond Engineering
• Experience with game development technology and expertise with at least one of the tech stacks used in the product (League Client / Web Front End, Services, Game, Content Tooling)
• Experience working with and achieving strong results with external partners
• Experience managing managers
• Familiarity or expertise with multiple tech stacks used in the product (League Client / Web Front End, Services, Game, Content Tooling)
• Experience with Agile development processes
• Familiarity with Riot's hiring and performance management processes alongside demonstrated experience and success
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn32eo-44-210-237-158-42 in your application.