Visual Designer - Entertainment, Consumer Products
Los Angeles, CA
The mission of Concept Art at Riot is to build deeper connections to games by creating unforgettable worlds and inspirational characters for players.
As a Senior Concept Artist on the Realization Team for Legends of Runeterra, you will be driving on the creative, tone and visual execution behind our most iconic Champion moments and help visualize all gameplay related moments from the smallest fireball to the full screen level up takeovers. You'll work with a multi-discipline team of internal and external artists to bring our champions to life, visualize complex gameplay mechanics, and find the strongest thematic resonance for our players.RESPONSIBILITIES
• Sketch, create, and improve visual storyboards in collaboration with other developers
• Improve the creative of our card-sets through ArtJams
• Unblock the team by providing concept art and orthographs for 3D artists and animators to implement into working game assets
• Figure out efficient solutions on accomplishing the look and feel of a visually complex moment
• Collaborate with other disciplines to determine flow and visualize gameplay that are both narrative and visually cohesive
• Take your skillful knowledge of story tropes, archetypes, and narrative devices of all kind to give feedback, supply paintovers, and offer direction for the designs that go into our worlds
• Provide raw assets to our teams for backgrounds and 2D-elements within our scenes
• Mentor members of the team
• 5+ years of experience as a professional artist
• Strong experience Sketching, Painting and creating Textures with Photoshop or other relevant painting/design tools
• Experience with the Runeterra IP and its champions
• Strong shape language, understanding of color, and ability to visualize VFX in a 2D medium
• Thrive in a small team that creates exceptional art
• Communicate complex gameplay through rough to polished storyboards
• Basic modeling skills to support perspective
• the ability to rapidly visualize, as well as illustrate/paint to production level
• Understanding on how visuals are perceived on both high-end PCs as well as mobile devices
• Solid illustration skills to render out parts of a concept to unblock the team
• TCG familiarity, and the desire to play TCG's.
• Understanding cinematic basics
• Experience running brainstorming sessions and create a Creative vision for and with a team
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Riot Games was founded in 2006 to develop, publish, and support the most player-focused games in the world. In 2009, we released our debut title, League of Legends, to worldwide acclaim. League has gone on to be the most-played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports.