As a Senior Character Concept Artist at Riot you will bring characters and creatures to life. Drawing inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will produce ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling and iconic. As Champion Concept Artist, first and foremost, you will help come up with visual solutions for the game.
As a Concept Artist on the Champions team, you will report to a Concept Art Lead. You will create character concepts that will both surprise and delight players. Work may vary from champion skins and other content that players can unlock to customize their League experience. You will participate in craft review sessions and give/receive feedback on the work.
• Sketch, brainstorm, and iterate new/rework champion concepts in collaboration with The Product Owner, Game Designer and Narrative Writer
• Create a mood piece of a new/rework Champion Skin that conveys the champion's personality, origin and source of power.
• Present a concise holistic Champion pitch for presentations to your team
• Develop detailed concept art and orthographs for 3D artists and animators to implement into working game assets
• Guide the vision of the champion from Ideation stage to post-production by working with the artists from your cross discipline
• Bring your understanding of human, animal anatomy, prop design and know how to stretch the limits while still maintaining a clear art direction
• Digitally paint volumetric form and material differentiation in an isometric and orthographic view
• Outsource management duties, such as holding the vision through paintovers, collect/manage feedback for the outsourcer, setting up art direction briefs and guides, bridge the gap between Riot IP and outsourcer
• Assist the Concept Art Lead creating style guides
• Drive the vision of the project not only within the pod but also cross product (Publishing, Wild Rift, Merch etc)
• 5+ years of experience as a Concept Artist in the games industry
• Proficient in Photoshop and painting/design tools
• Understanding of colors and value structure
• Experience creating designs using inspiration from historical, fantasy, scifi, mainstream trends, or pop culture references
• Understanding of character design reading in an isometric view
• Understanding of painting portraiture
• Experience with League IP or a general knowledge of League of Legends
• Experience with broad appeal vs. niche aesthetics
• Deep visual library of recent pop culture content such as anime, video games, movies, manga
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise that prioritizes the delight of players. We will evaluate your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gp1j34-3-236-122-9-42 in your application.