As a Principal Rendering Technical Artist on the League Studio Tools Core Tech team, you will be a vision holder that's accountable for driving progress forward across multiple games built using League Engine in the shaders and materials space. You will be responsible for defining technical best practices in shaders and materials, and advocate for new rendering features on behalf of teams that would benefit from them. You will also be hands-on and directly support content and tools teams as a Shaders and Materials expert.
In this role, you will also be responsible for training and empowering new Shader Artists and Technical Artists across League Studios and managing our shader library. You will report to the Senior Tech Art Manager.
• Create a 3-5 year vision for the evolution of materials and shader workflows, tools, and engine to support creative goals from Art Directors across multiple games
• Work with tools and rendering teams on enhancements to our materials and shaders tools and workflows
• Consult and contribute hands-on with games across League Studios to help them maximize opportunities to effectively use shaders and materials to achieve their goals
• Be a bridge between Art and Engineering in the realm of materials and shaders to help both disciplines communicate effectively
• Create documentation for using our materials and shader systems, and build discipline-wide habits to keep them up to date
• Promote performance optimization for art assets by creating clear standards and building a maintainable process for reviewing and optimizing game assets.
• 8+ years of professional experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
• Experience in material development and shader writing using HLSL and GLSL in game engines and DCCs
• Experience with PBR
• A deep understanding of rendering, including lighting, depth masking, render-to-texture, and optimized post-processing.
• Ability to translate artistic requirements in Materials and Shaders to sustainable UX, UI and workflow design
• Experience profiling and optimizing performance of Shaders with tools such as RenderDoc or other industry standard systems
• Experience in Unreal, Unity or proprietary game engines
• Expertise in content creation and tool development in DCC tools, especially Maya, Photoshop, 3DCoat, Marmoset, Substance Designer and Painter
• Experience with look dev, color theory, camera lenses, and lighting direction
• Experience in sculpting, modeling, rigging and animation and understanding of the related workflows is also valuable.
• Knowledge of Python in order to write scripts and tools
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and an approach that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8m3mm-34-229-119-176-42 in your application.