Lighting Artist - Unpublished R&D Product
As a Technical Artist, you will focus on supporting artists with art asset prototypes so they can realize their work in-game. You will work with artists across all departments from modeling to lighting to ensure all assets work within the scope of the technical pipeline requirements. Working closely with each artistic department, you will standardize and improve development processes for the production of in-game assets, materials, shaders, and scalable development pipelines.
As a Lighting Artist II on the Research & Development team, you'll create beautiful and performant lighting on one of our upcoming titles. You'll use color, light, and grading to define the emotional intent of the world, characters, and user experiences. You'll set up the required lighting systems, processes, and documentation. You will use your creative and technical proficiency in Unreal Engine, or similar, lighting systems to create lighting that works for both high-end machines and low spec machines while retaining the overall look. You will report to the Art Director.
• Work with the art leads and art director to create lighting that balances the gameplay and the creative direction's needs
• Identify the real-time lighting needs and the unique limitations of the project
• Utilize post effects to ensure lighting is performant and looks good on high to low-end machines
• Setup lighting systems, processes, and documentation
• Collaborate with technical artists to identify and design required lighting tools
• Advocate for lighting solutions and advise on how lighting interacts with other disciplines
• Optimize lighting as the game gets closer to launch
• 3+ years of professional experience as a lighting artist for games
• Professional experience in Unreal or a similar game engine
• Professional experience using real-time lighting systems
• Professional experience authoring PBR materials
• Professional experience creating systems and taking ownership
• Background in photography and/or cinematography
• Experience working on a large AAA game with heavy demands on lighting
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
When submitting your application, please provide a portfolio of your high-quality lighting art. And as a part of the application process, you may also be asked to complete an art test.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d50o77-44-192-38-248-42 in your application.