Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it's for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We're looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you're passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren't afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
VALORANT is Riot's take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Game Designer II working on the Competitive Systems and Progression Systems you will design and deliver world class competitive and ranked systems. You will deeply understand what motivates competitive players and understand how to craft systems that are competitively sound and satisfying to compete in. You will deeply understand what motivates players to play VALORANT and understand how to best recognize their continued investment in the game. You will be responsible for designing solutions that solve design problems for players across different platforms and how to balance for their unique player experiences.
You will report to the Production Lead, VALORANT in China.
• Design systeme around Competitive and Ranked Systems that help players to satisfy them to compete in
• Manage all the resources and deliver a high quality game system with online quality
• Design Progression System that motivates players to continue investment in the game
• Work with other teammates to take content and features from conception to our players' hands
• Seek opportunities for new design spaces in collaboration with Product Managers and Design Leadership.
• Create and provide multiple potential designs and solutions. Articulate trade-offs and risks between different options with a clear understanding of content and product level goals
• Playtest VALORANT and help push for continued improvements for existing designs and fresh prototypes
• Drive the organization and delivery of team's feature work
• Runs day to day team production operations
• Creates and maintains clean, up-to-date work backlog
• Facilitates team meetings, discussions, and decisions
• Supports team by removing roadblocks and managing distractions
• Directs all team rituals
• • Team has predictable planning process
• Cross-functional work planning with accurate estimations
• Velocity tracking on sprint and release basis
• Sprint / milestone commitment tracking
• Dependency / risk tracking
• Quality tracking (bug count, bug velocity, subjective quality post ship)
• Tracks and communicates progress to stakeholders and rest of team
• Tracks ALL work (planned, unplanned, emergent)
• Rolls progress back into master Project tracking methods
• Directs all progress communications
• Responsible for stakeholder management and communication
• Responsible for keeping stakeholders consulted and informed on progress and bought in to discussions as needed for project success
• End to end feature delivery tracking
• Define and ensure work meets definition of done
• Update and track against common delivery checklist for shipping
• 3+ years of experience in professional Game Design
• Has shipped games in a production role
• Worked on at least one published online competitive game from beginning to end
• Can create and improve complex systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects
• Proven ability to articulate decision making frameworks with other designers and team members
• Deep level of understanding, passion, and engagement with online competitive games.
• Experience developing online matchmaking or ranked systems.
• Familiarity with online shooters, especially VALORANT and/or tactical shooters
• Views potential 'charged' player feedback as an opportunity to better understand and improve the product.
• Have a good understanding on UX design
• Understand Unreal Engine, can do some UMG work
• Understand Unreal Engine 4 blueprint and can do blueprint logic
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy4vm3-44-192-65-228-42 in your application.