The Director of Data as a Service will lead the Data Platform and Data Operations teams in managing data through its lifecycle. Data, a product in its own right, is also the foundation on which our high-value analytics, research, and unique player experiences are based. Rioters' access to data is critical to the success of Riot Games. The quality of our data – it's completeness, coverage, security & accuracy, is a competitive differentiator. This newly developed role is part of a transformation we are undergoing to evolve and mature our data organization
As a member of the Data Organization, this is a key role that will transform how we manage, process, and access our data. We are looking to become more scalable, highly automated, and capable of producing higher quality data so that we are better equipped to produce the high-quality data we need to know & empathize with our players and to create kick-ass data-driven player experiences.
As a senior leader in our Data organization this is a pivotal role and can help to transform Riot through capitalizing on the value of our data.
Strategy & Vision
• Help set business strategy, vision and roadmap for your organization, initiate and debate key strategic topics and opportunities from your team's work, and drive bold high-impact decisions.
• Hiring and development of a highly efficient operational team of data engineers responsible for the transport, processing, security, quality and overall governance of our data ecosystem.
• Collaborate with members of the senior stakeholders, insights, data experiences and game teams to deliver new capabilities.
• Identify and drive objectives and key results that increase our data to value ratio, e.g. reduce the time to onboard new producers and consumers of data.
• Work with the Head of Data to agree upon key priorities for the Data as a Service team and track progress against these – specifically with respect to any special projects, timing, prioritisation and budget.
• Work with Technology Leadership and with the Data as a Service team to maintain a clear technical roadmap and runway, empowering research, proof-of-concept, and development of innovative and leading data solutions to delight our players
• Leading teams to develop world-class data operation practices that allow us to manage our data effectively, including alerts, dashboards and reporting that show the status of data in our pipeline
• Develop the Operations team to ensure we have a breadth of developing expertise and provide input on the resourcing and capability gaps we are likely to face in the future to cover our evolving data needs.
• Foster an agile, high-performance, collaborative culture which is creative, open, supportive and dynamic with high levels of continuous improvement mind-set.
Operational Excellence & Quality
• Ensure the team ways of working are aligned and compliant with the organisation's defined methodologies and approaches.
• Work with stakeholders across Riot Games to ensure effective timely delivery on key deliverables and business cycle processes.
• Able to work with other distributed teams in understanding how internal customers view data quality and using that understanding to implement validation processes to enforce that quality
• Learn and understand our data pipeline and the tools used to manage data through that pipeline
• BS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
• Experience as a Senior Software Engineer or higher
• 13+ years of industry experience
• 8+ years of management experience
• Ability to manage complex relationships in a matrix environment and strong stakeholder management skills.
• Strong organizational and project management skills
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7njb6-3-231-230-177-42 in your application.