Game Development Director
Development Director (Respawn Outsourcing Team)
Founded in 2010, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order, and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We are looking for an experienced Development Director who is passionate about both process and people, to provide daily production leadership to both our internal art teams and external partners. This role reports directly to the Studio Outsource Manager.
You will manage project, feature, and resource planning, balance scope with capacity, track progress, implement and improve processes, mentor people, and manage risks and mitigation. You are a master of content pipelines and understand the iterative nature of creative processes and how to empower them. You know how to build healthy, high-functioning relationships with vendors. You are a force multiplier for the team.
What you'll do...
As a leader, you will set your priorities but a typical week could include:
• Planning and scheduling of all external content in collaboration with internal production, OS department leadership, and external production.
• Assure the external teams are applying proper production strategies and working with OS department leads and directors to ensure all teams are effectively structured and resourced.
• Build and evolve team; identify resourcing needs, provide challenges and developmental opportunities to ensure that all employees reach their potential.
• Interpret design documents and pre-production materials to a clear picture of project scope and associated task breakdowns.
• Work with the OS Dept. leadership in determining how external development will support future projects across the studio.
• Responsible for informing key internal stakeholders of the status and progress of external production.
• Responsible for risk management and mitigation strategies in collaboration with the Outsourcing team and producers.
• Manage performance issues and provide clear, constructive guidance to external teams.
• Create new, evaluate and evolve existing processes in cooperation with internal and departmental stakeholders.
• Ensure external partners have all the necessary information to do reliably and consistently execute.
Ideally, you'll have...
You don't have to be all things to all people, however, your art background and production skills will establish you as a credible art leader. This is probably a mix of:
• A passion for people and bridging gaps between internal dev teams and their external partner studios.
• Experience as a Producer/Project Manager, working in the art production or VFX industry.
• Business development and relationship management.
• Experience in game production design process and methodology.
• Proven ability to mitigate risk for assigned scope.
• 5 years of project management or team leadership experience.
• Experience in different project management methodologies such as Waterfall and Agile.
• Proficiency in Shotgun and JIRA as tools for project management and tracking
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.