Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
PlayStation isn't just the best place to play… it's also the best place to work. With the launch of the original PlayStation in 1994, we set out to thrill gamers with amazing experiences.
Our never-ending pursuit to push gaming to new heights is the reason we are recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. Under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation, the PlayStation brand and experience exists because of the passionate dedication of our team who work hard for everyone to play.
Senior Character Artist
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Visual Arts Group and PlayStation Malaysia are a passionate team within the PlayStation family, provides world-class content, development, and services to PlayStation's studios all over the world. Always at the cutting edge of technology, Visual Arts works with studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Bend Studios, SuckerPunch, San Diego Studio, Japan Studios, and more first-party teams.
Our team is made up of game and film industry professionals from all over the world, working with some of the best minds and companies around.
Why work when you can play? This is life at PlayStation!
Are you an experienced Character Artist looking to join a team to create the highest quality characters possible? Then read on!
• Use modeling and texturing ability to create photorealistic living, breathing characters with personality.
• Create highly detailed and believable 3D character models and textures for use in-game.
• Ensure character assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games' design and artistic vision.
• Follow the direction of art leads. Collaborate with other departments such as Concept Art, Animation, Rigging and Game Design to make sure artwork fits within the title's vision.
• Serve as mentor for other artists.
• Work with production to follow and build schedules and to deliver assets on time.
• Work with outsourcing to help create and integrate art assets.
• Clearly communicate updates and voice concerns to the appropriate team members and manager(s)
• Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product's visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio
• Participate in research and development on latest tools tech and methodology.
• Capable of resolving a range of complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members
• Actively improve skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods
• 5+ years' experience as a 3D character artist.
• Proactive self-starter.
• Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, material setup, character skinning, surface sampling, mapping techniques, UV layout, in-game animation, character rigging and engine parameters/optimizations desirable
• Portfolio of realistic, highly detailed, 3D character models, with highly realistic textures (skin, hair, worn fabric/accessories, etc.), accurate anatomy, detailed clothing, etc.
• Portfolio should show quality, taste, and ability to hit a photorealistic/believable look.
• Mastery of standard art packages such as Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush and Substance Designer.
• Strong understanding of scale, proportion, human anatomy and surface properties.
• Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
• Possess strong time management and prioritization skills.
• Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine.
• Previous console experience with a shipped title is desired.
• Experience working on AAA titles as a character artist
• Experience creating animals for AAA pipelines
• Recommended Marvelous Design, Mari, Agisoft, Substance, Mudbox
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.