The role of this Associate Translator position is to provide English to Japanese (and vice versa) translation and interpretation services to staff within PlayStation Studios QA and all partners in order to support the development, execution, analysis and release of software and/or hardware for the PlayStation platform. This position will be a hybrid work role (mainly remote) and may require domestic or international travel.
• Translation: Providing English <> Japanese written translations (Mainly English-to-Japanese translations) Translation of internal communication focused requests including but not limited to emails, documents, video subtitles, forums, chats, bugs, system tickets, and any other business-related correspondence that contributes towards global efforts for PlayStation.
o Comprehension of the original text and reflecting the meaning/nuance in translation with the target audience in mind
o Use of translation CAT tool
o Maintenance and contribution to translation memory and glossaries
o Post-editing translations
o External facing translations
o Review and mentorship of junior staff/external staff's work
• Interpretation: Providing English <> Japanese verbal interpretation Providing on-site or remote interpretation services to support conferences, summits, meetings, etc. for PlayStation and its partners.
o Consecutive interpretation (on-site/remote)
o Simultaneous interpretation (on-site/remote, mainly English to Japanese)
o Attendance and travel support for on-site, domestic & international trips
o Business-based advice to staff working with overseas counterparts
• Global Operations: Coordination of ops with distributed team and interaction with global users/customers Coordinating translation and interpretation-related tasks/activities to ensure follow-the-sun support with global translation team members and customers. Supporting and contributing to activities surrounding the translation service lifecycle (design, transition, and improvement) for current and future strategies.
Responsibilities may include:
o Attendance in regular team meetings held in your own region as well as with other regions to share operational updates and upcoming support
o Responding and advising on translation/interpretation with customers
o Hiring, training, and leading junior staff members
o Coordinating and interacting with external resources (agency or direct individual) to source overcapacity work and lead aspects of performance/quality
o Other activities supporting our translation team, PlayStation Studios QA, and all relevant partners
• At least 2 years of experience working as a professional translator or interpreter in a business setting, or equivalent education. Experience with remote simultaneous interpretation (RSI) is a must.
• Translation skills are expected to be at a level to perform well in a fast-paced and professional business environment.
• A person in this role should understand basic MS Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
• We envision our ideal individual to be very customer oriented, able to work with diverse groups easily, have basic tech/troubleshooting skills, and have strong interpersonal skills.
• An ability to follow outlined processes and procedures as well as collaborating with senior team members on ideas for improvements is encouraged.
• Prior experience with CAT tools is required.
• Candidates must be fluent in both Japanese and English, with level equivalent to TOEIC 990 or EIKEN Grade 1 for English/JLPT N1 for Japanese recommended. Understanding of global operations is suggested.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r09686-3-238-199-4-42 in your application.